Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

Best Lilacs to Grow in Tennessee

brandon7 TN_zone7
15 years ago

I'm considering getting a few lilacs, but I know that many don't do really well here, especially since winters are even warmer than they used to be. I would like to know if anyone has info on varieties that might be best here. I would also like them to be resistant to the common lilac problems (powdery mildew, bacterial blight, scale, borers, etc.) if possible.

I've been unable to find recommendations for this area with internet searches and I got no responses yet in the Shrub Forum.

Comments (11)

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

My neighbors across the street have a lilac, I am sure they don't know the variety, they aren't the gardening type but it seems to do well here. I have heard that Miss Kim and dwarf Korean do well here. I did buy a dwarf Korean and never got it planted it made it a winter and then bloomed in its pot. Died the next summer (Lack of care) Maybe I should revisit this plant. (and actually get it planted next time)

Mary

• steveh_2007
    15 years ago

Variety 'Josee' grows well here and reblooms in the fall.

• honeybunny442
    15 years ago

Try calling your local UT- Extension. They should be able to answer you, or find out the answer and get back to you.

• civilengr3
    15 years ago

I live a little further NE from you, so my microclimate may be slightly colder. But, I have several different types of lilac in my yard, and all are doing fine, with great blooming. And there are many older homes around here with the original lilac-colored lilacs, and they are huge and bloom very well.
    As long as we get a couple of weeks below 20 and a few days below 10 degrees, lilacs will continue to do well in this region. No matter what variety.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The extension service is a good source for a lot of useful info, but in this case.....well let's just say I'd rather hear from people with practical experience with lilacs of their own. I see healthy lilacs growing around town, so I know there are varieties that do well here. I now have a list of about 15 varieties that are supposed to do well in warmer climates, but I'm still interested in actual experiences if anyone out there grows a variety or varieties that have performed well in this area.

• Soeur
    14 years ago

Like Ann said, 'Lavender Lady' performs really well. There's another one called 'Blue Skies' that has done just fine for me (I think it's pretty widely available; Monrovia sells it). I haven't had any disease issues with it, including powdery mildew.

Beyond the vulgaris/persian types, the Korean lilacs (Syringa patula) like 'Miss Kim' are quite happy here. And the earliest species, such as S. oblata and S. laciniata, although more difficult to find, do splendidly. These other syringa species don't seem to suffer from mildew as much as the "classic" lilac, fortunately. Personally I've never seen mildew on a 'Miss Kim', though that certainly is no cosmic guarantee it couldn't happen.

If you ever get the opportunity to visit Bernheim Arboretum up in KY, they have an interesting collection of out-of-the-ordinary lilacs, including large specimens of both oblata and laciniata.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the info! I am still researching this topic and some of the leads I've gotten from Gardenweb have led to lots of more info.

Marty, I've got to visit the Bernheim Arboretum. I've never been. I drove near by about a year ago and was planning to spend at least a few hours, but it was pouring rain and lightening, so I couldn't visit. Maybe I'll take a day trip up there this year.

• midtn
    14 years ago

Most lilacs are rated up to and including zone 7. They grow well in the PNW so winter chill requirements aren't drastic. Plenty cold long enough around here. Hopefully it will warm up soon (the poor folks up north had a brutely cold and snowy winter that isn't over yet). I suspect heat, humidity and drought limits them in the SE. I've only tired Miss Kim but the thing looked so pathetic I finally put it out of its misery. I know the scent is fantastic but you can get the flowers by using Crape Myrtles (get the nice smell from something else in spring, maybe winter honeysuckle or mahonia). Keep in mind lilacs have poor fall color and no significant fruit. Pretty much a one season performer.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've already got a crape myrtle collection, I needed the lilacs for the lilac collection. (-;

• rockman50
    14 years ago

Just browsing and noticed a post about lilacs. My first reaction was also "grow crape myrtles"! But I get it. The lilac is really a 2 week performer. Beautiful blooms and unbelievable aroma for a short time, but I don't think they are the most attractive plants for the rest of the year. But you will get a nice early spring show before your Crape's kick in. I just purchased a Muskogee Crape Myrtle from a local nursery yesterday. I am zone 6b, like many of you, but I think I am pushing it since the zone for this crape is 7a. But it is supposed to be one of the hardier varieties and I do have a well protected site with full southern exposure. So I hope my crape does as well as your lilac!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?