Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judydean_gw

Porterweed, Ms. Talada

judydean
14 years ago

I just corresponded with Evelyn Talada and she has purple porterweed now and will make some coral porterweed cuttings. They will be at the Millington Farmers Market when it opens. I invited her to come to our swap in late April so maybe she'll bring some. Judy

Comments (7)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

I guess you mean the Memphis area swap?

• judydean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, the West TN or Memphis one. I'm sorry; I always assume everyone on here is from the Memphis area and in my more rational moments I know better. I mean, I see posts about the East TN and Middle TN swaps, but they just don't register sometimes. Please forgive any misunderstanding.
    Judy

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

LOL, I always wonder if there's anyone else here from East TN. It seems like everyone is from Middle TN from the amount of posts from there. People show up out of the woodwork for East TN Plant Swaps, and then I never hear from them again until the next swap (many lurkers, I guess).

Does whatever species of Stachytarpheta you were talking about winter over reliably there? I noticed most types are more tropical than Memphis's hardiness zones, not to mention other parts of TN. If not, do the seedlings come true-to-type?

• judydean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, they don't winter over here in Memphis. Smart gardeners (of which I am not) take cuttings, root them and then bring them to the Memphis area plant swap. However, the person doing that had a "crop failure" so we are searching for other sources. Evelyn Talada has some and sells those and other plants at the Millington Farmers Market which is where I will be getting mine and several others will too. Hope that helps. Judy

• maemae0312
    14 years ago

Judy do you have any info on the Millington farmers market? I would love some of the coral poterweed. I did get a few pieces of the purple to root in water but they aren't very big. Hopefully I will have some of them to share next year.

Mary

• judydean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Evelyn Talada said her purple one will be ready in mid April. She won't be able to make the swap because she & her husband will be out of town that weekend. She's rooting the coral one this week. The Millington market isn't open yet but Evelyn said she would let us know when it does. Her electricity went out and most of the things in her greenhouse died so she is starting over. I will pass along the info on Milllington market when I hear.
    Judy

• leighmac
    14 years ago

Yay for Judy! Thank you for the info! I am definitely going to get some of the porterweed. See you soon!

Sponsored