Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_gardener123

what should I add to my soil?

new-gardener123
15 years ago

I live in Nashville in the Crieve Hall area. Last summer I did not do much prep for my vegetable garden due to lack of time and knowledge. Luckily it did pretty well anyway. However, I want to do better this year. I would like to be at least mostly organic/chemical free if possible. What should I add to the soil when it is tilled? What and how should I fertilize throughout the growing season? Any recommendations for what to plant next to each other or apart, or recommendations for companion planting with herbs and flowers?

Thanks!

Rebecca

Comments (5)

• ladybug37091
    15 years ago

Hi Rebecca, You can't go wrong with lots of compost. I have a compost pile I put lots of manure, leaves, grass and kitchen scraps in to cook down into black gold. Try googling companion planting for lots of info. My aunt gave me a great tip for awesome onions and that is to burn a wood pile and plant the onions right through the ash(makes for big onions). It is always recommended to have your soil tested but I have not yet done that. I like to keep the chemicals to a minimum and use things like fish emulsion, epsom salt and seaweed. Another good search would be organic gardening. Good luck and have fun, Rhonda

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Rebecca you need to contact me! We are at 356 Blackman two houses past Briarwood between Trousdale and Edmonson. Look for the Orange & White checkerboard mailbox. Give me a call (310-4155) and Lavonne & I will be happy to show you around Cheapwood. We can help you get started with a bunch of free stuff. Try to drop by before the swap! BTW, please go to the MTPS website and register. http://www.midtnplantswap.com/registration/registration.html

Compost is THE way to go! We have a compost bin too and they are easily made for next to nothing. Since you don't have one yet, hit Home Depot and snag several bags of Mushroom Compost. They are about $4 a bag.

If you know someone with livestock then load up with dried manure. Most folks will be happy to let you have it for free if you'll just load it yourself. Green (fresh) manure is right out. It will burn your feeder roots and kill the plant.

Jeff

• ladybug37091
    15 years ago

My dad used to put green manure inches away from plants and he had monster size plants. I was always to afraid to try it for fear of it getting too close to the plant or kicking a nugget. lol

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

Rebecca: Hermitage area here. Check out GardenSafe products (Wal-Mart has them). Neem oil-based pesticides & completely organic. I had good luck also with MG Organic Choice Potting mix for both my starting containers & 16 oz cups they're in now. Home Depot, when I can get there, also has an awesome selection. I get lost in all those doors that lead back to each other sometimes...lol. One example...one of those black metal wire hanging baskets with the straw/peat insert (16 inch diameter) at one un-named store was $6...Home Depot: $3.70. =)

Peace - Steve

• new-gardener123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeff, I am planning to call you this week! I would love to come over and see your yard. Thanks for the offer! I think I saw your house when driving by the other day. I actually live really close to you I think. I live on Garrett. I am getting really excited about the swap!

Rebecca

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting