Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetposey

Northern Middle TN Plant Swap April 7th

sweetposey
17 years ago

The maiden voyage of the Northern Middle TN Plant Swap will be April 7th at Historic Rock Castle in Hendersonville, which is about 20 mins outiside of Nashville. We had intended to have our first swap last fall, but my mother

passed away and my heart just wasn't in it. We're getting excited for the spring event, though, and would like anyone interested to come trade plants with us. Some tables will be available, but swappers are encouraged to bring your own

as we may not have enough to go around. All plants and garden related items will be welcomed. We are gonna be posting our 'for trade' lists here soon. The site opens at 9 am. We will begin setting up at that time with the swap

continuing till approximately 1pm. We are not planning a potluck, as this is our first event, but we do plan to bring munchies to share. Restroom facilities are available. Directions from Nashville: Take I-65N. Merge onto TN-386N. Take Exit #7/Calendar Lane toward Hendersonville. Continue on to Indian Lake Road for about two miles. Road will bear to the left, but Rock Castle Lane continues straight ahead, dead ending at the site. It's on Old Hickory Lake, very private and beautiful. Master gardeners in the area oversee the landscaping. We have promised to donate a few plants to the site in exchange for use of their facilities. If you plan to attend, please be prepared to contribute at least one plant. Any questions, comments, etc can be posted here or emailed to: plantswappers@yahoo.com --Please come join us!! Tina

Comments (15)

• tnwillow
    17 years ago

YEAH! I have been trying to go to the Middle TN Swap for a long time, but it is always held on my weekend to work. So I was very glad to see your post as I am NOT working April 7th! I'll be there!
    I'm so sorry to hear that your mother passed away, my heart goes out to you.

• april_h_o April Moore
    17 years ago

I hope I can make it -- I have been looking forward to this for a while now. The only possible wrench in the program is that that is my wedding anniversary. Maybe Chip will think it's a good way to celebrate? :-)

• bigorangevol
    17 years ago

Tina I'm happy to hear that everything is a go! Lavonne and I will be there and if we can help you in any way just holler at us.

• mechele211
    17 years ago

Tina,
    Thanks for posting the info. I've never been to a plant swap but would love to attend. Hope there isn't a minimum size requirement for plants! I don't have any big plants to share yet but I have lots of seedlings started. They won't be very big on April 7. My babies won't be frowned on will they? Mechele

• lh_midtn
    17 years ago

My sister and I attended the last Spring and Fall Mid TN Plant Swaps, but may not get there this year. This is much closer for us, so we'll try to get to this one.

Dianne & Linda

• sweetposey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The more the merrier! We will be glad to have anybody with anything gardening related; seeds, seedlings, pots, magazines, birdhouses, plants, trees, whatever. Variety is great. I'm sure I'll probably have lots of different sizes of stuff, myself. Mechele, your babies will be VERY welcome! We can start to set up at 9 am. So far, I know I'll be bringing several red hot pokers, iris, maiden grass, pine tree seedlings, lamb's ear, vinca minor, ivy, monkey grass, day lillies, and a couple small maple trees. More to come!

• sweetposey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, forgot to add that I'll also be bringing some bulb forcing jars to trade. If anybody's interested in setting up pre-trades, post the requests here or email plantswappers@yahoo.com. Looking forward to meeting you all!! :-)

• mari5us
    17 years ago

Tina,
    It's getting close so I wanted to bump this up a bit.
    Marianne

• sweetposey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We got a phone call from a Master Gardener in Hendersonville who is planning to attend and tell all her friends!

• bigorangevol
    17 years ago

Be careful! :-)

• sweetposey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's this weekend! We can't wait! I know it's gonna be chilly, but we'll have a fireplace and fellowship. Who could ask for more? Please come and join us at Rock Castle!

• irisaddict
    17 years ago

How did the swap go?

• bigorangevol
    17 years ago

We had to go to my sister and B-I-L's house for my nieces birthday party in Mt. Juliet. I feel so bad that we weren't able to be there!

• bigorangevol
    17 years ago

Tina let's hear about it!!!

• sweetposey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, everybody, sorry I've been late responding. Thought Marianne might post something. I was off work Monday and Tuesday and don't have internet access at home anymore. Then our power went out at work yesterday with the storms. Anyway, everything went really well Saturday. We were dreading the cold temps, but the caretaker at Rock Castle, Tom, generously offered us the run of the vistors' center. I'm a naturalist in many ways, but God bless central heating. We had a much better turnout than we expected, given the weather. We were all heartbroken, as I'm sure thousands of people have been, about losing some treasures to the cold temps. But Mother Nature is a great teacher.

About the swap: Five people showed up after having heard about our swap on Garden Web, three of the master gardeners who maintain Rock Castle, a few other people that I lost track of and can't honestly tell you where they came from, (I'll have to consult our sign up sheets later) and the five of us who put the swap together, plus several of our respective family members and friends. I was afraid we'd wear out our welcome at Rock Castle, but Tom said he's looking forward to hosting our spring and fall swaps every year! We had a really good plant selection. I got some great stuff, we donated several plants to Rock Castle. Mostly, though, we had a blast. Everybody said they'd come back in the spring and fall and we hope to keep building the group. We are definitely planning on expanding to include a pot luck this fall and may add a speaker at some point. Those of you who missed the event, we definitely understand and look forward to seeing you this fall. We have a tentative date for the fall swap of Oct 20th. The 13th is already spoken for at Rock Castle, but if they have a cancellation, Tom promised he'd let us know. I'm planning on coming to the river for the MTPS in May, and am really looking forward to it. We have the perennial sale this Sat. at the fairgrounds in Nashville, and the herb sale on the 21st! Always something to look forward to. Thanks again for all the help an interest we've gotten from everyone!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Perrennial Plant Sale info

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!