Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Last minute affordable landscaping help

Posted by elsten (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 16:20

Hello!
A friend has enlisted my help in the preparation of putting her home on the market this month. She, admittedly, does not know where to start and currently has little to no existing landscaping to work with AND doesn't want to make a big investment.
Basically, what I'm looking for are ideas for some worthwhile plants that would offer a big bang for their buck in this planting situation and this time of year. The space we're working with is very tiny- only two small 2'x4' beds on either side of the front door stoop. She also has two planters on the front stoop as well as small flower boxes under each of the 2 front windows.
This area gets scorching, full sun, as there are no mature trees in the front yard. (Nashville)
Any suggestions or resources?!
Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Last minute affordable landscaping help

I would recommend a trip to the Lebanon Flea Market on the weekends. The growers should be starting to show up with some plants right about now.

You won't find anything too fancy there, but what they have is very healthy and grows well in this climate. And, it is usually about 1/3 the price of what you'd pay at Home Depot, for bigger, healthier plants.

They have lots of Boxwood, but I think you have to get there pretty early in the morning to beat the landscaping companies. :) They also have things like Firepower Nandina, Knockout Roses, etc. Good ol' tried and true standards, but I imagine you don't want anything exotic or expensive if you're just trying to sell the house.

Good luck!

o

Having tried and failed to sell right away, I admire you for thinking long term good looks. I recommend dianthus which for me is evergreen and has already started blooming and will continue to fall. I use it as an edger, but it would also look good in the flower boxes. Mine is in full sun and some of it is in the iris bed which doesn't get watered except maybe twice a summer when the irises are really, really dried.

o

If you are looking for do things rather inexpensively azaleas are about the cheapest shrub you can purchase.
If there isn't anything in the beds already I would do 3 azaleas in a line on each side of the porch. Then add some Monkey Grass/ Variegated Liriope planting 3 in a triangle in front of the azaleas but between the 3 azaleas.

You can also try Craigslist or Freecycle in your area to see if you can get inexpensive or free plants. Sometimes people are wanting to redo their own landscaping and just want rid of some of the existing plants.

A couple of little concrete statuary make it nice too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here