Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sweet olive trees?

Posted by landrover northknoxville (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 05 at 16:26

My mom's favorite fragrance came from the sweet olive tree. I wanted to plant one in her honor but it looks like they are only hardy to 20 degrees? Has anyone ever heard of one surviving in Knoxville?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sweet olive trees?

We brought ours up from New Orleans where it had to be brought inside for coldest weather. Here we're 18 miles ne of Knoxville.
Big heavy pot held about 15 gallons of potting soil and supported a four foot tall, shrubby sweet olive.
I kept it alive for five years up here by overwintering it on our passive solar porch (taking up lots of water some weeks in winterf; a lot less in cloudy, dreary weather.)
It can be done, but in winter takes as much care as a pet to keep the water right.

o

ooh that's where we were living--in New Orleans--when Mom discovered it. That was in 1959. We lived on our sailboat in the West End Canal by the Coast Guard station on Lake Ponchatrain--ah fond memories. I think I'll just abandon the idea of getting one. My dwarf gardenia will have to suffice.

o

Hi, I have grown a sweet olive tree for about 2 years now! It is very slow growing, but so far has done well.. I have it in a border along my fence and so far so good! I am in Memphis.. so maybe try it? If you mulch heavily and put it with a little protection? Just a thought! jenn

o

I live in Ringgold, Georgia just south of Chattanooga and have been growing a sweet olive on my deck for 5 or 6 years. It stays outside year round. It has been very hardy for me. It is about 6 or 7 feet tall. It has gotten down to 7 or 8 degrees without damage. It is in a huge pot.

I am in zone 7a. It blooms mainly in the fall but also some in the spring.

o

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen a sweet olive at Lowe's or Home Depot? Where did ya'll get yours?

o

I got mine at the home depot a few years ago, but I see them every year, I got mine in the summer time! HTH! Good luck! Jenn

o

Ecolage has them. See link below. They specialize in Southern plants.
I ordered a night-blooming jasmine from them last year and was extremely pleased with it. Arrived as a huge plant (about 2 feet tall) with several branches and covered in buds which bloomed a week later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Olive at Ecolage

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here