Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terri01_gw

Slope Gardening

terri01
16 years ago

Hello All, I have been in East Tn for 3 years now. Outside my back door I have 4 acres of woods. There is a slope that leads up to the woods. I am looking to plant on this slope. The slope faces south and in the summer is shaded from the overhead tree boughs. I know I can put in hostas, but would like to be able to fill it in. I thought I would put in some bulbs this coming winter, but would like to have some color during the summer. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

How much shade? How much moisture? How much wind?

• terri01
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well right now the sun hits the slope pretty good. However, the trees don't have leaves, yet. So I would call it a medium shade all summer and into fall. There are dogwood, red cedar and some unknown trees that actually branch out over this slope.I get quite a bit of water, when it rains, as it comes down out of the woods, but because of the trees being so thick above, the rain doesn't actually hit the slope unless it's a real downpour. We live up on a hill, so we can get pretty windy but the house actually blocks alot of the wind in this slope area.

• madmouser
    16 years ago

If it's not an area you have to wander through, consider Pemberton Musk roses. These are old roses dating back to the turn of the century, bred by the Rev. Pemberton.
    They do well under trees and are at their best if they're just allowed to do their thing, which is to throw out long branches in a fountain/mound shape. Have a lot of small roses and a good fragrance. No pruning or spraying needed. Have attractive hips in the fall.
    I grew them under a bunch of mulberry trees when I lived in Maryland and they did very well. Very hardy and not much seems to bother them. Those horrible trees (which came with the house) would be covered with tent catepillars but the roses would be fine.
    May be able to get them around here or at a swap. I got mine from Antique Rose Emporioum in Texas or Roses of Yesterday and Today in California.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of hybrid musk roses

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Well there's a thought that hadn't occurred to me. :-)

I also love hybrid musk roses -- although their success will depend in part on just how much shade and how much moisture that slope actually gets. Another great rose for a possibly neglected shady area is Darlow's Enigma. It will bloom in shade and leaves many tiny red hips for winter.

But this does bring up another question -- are you thinking of shrubs, or perennials, or groundcovers, or what?

• terri01
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I was really thinking of some type of ground cover. I'm not worried about anything being evasive, but I want it to be pretty. There are 2 types of ivy that was here when we bought the place,that is on another slope, but in 3 years they haven't really done anything. Maybe too much shade. I was kind of thinking about something like ice plants that have tiny flowers, almost a succulent. What about hearts & flowers? Does anyone know about these? I had them in my beds in Las Vegas. The bright green leaves look like hearts & the flowers are tiny & red. It is a succelent.Just looking for something to flow downhill & look nice. I love the rose idea. Thanks for all the help. Keep thinking!!!

• positivemom
    16 years ago

What about vinca minor? It has a pretty purple flower, and glossy green leaves.

My mom has a similar situation ... she's on the side of a mountain. She has little pockets of daylilies on her hill. They will do well in sun or shade, and generally don't require anything from you (i.e. so YOU don't have to climb up there ;-) ).

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinca Minor

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Vinca minor is a class 2 invasive (harmful to the environment). I would at least think twice before purposely planting known invasives.

Here is a link that might be useful: List of Invasives

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus