Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ferns

Posted by dbarr91 TN (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 07 at 16:48

I live in NW TN. Can someone tell me how to keep birds from building nests in my hanging ferns on my front porch. Last year, I had 4 hanging ferns on my front porch and birds managed to kill everyone of them.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening this year?

TIA
Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ferns

What kind of birds???

I have wrens & bluebirds in my ferns every year & they don't harm them at all. The bluebirds get really fussy when I water the ferns but the wren will usually just sit & warily watch me. I love being able to watch the birds so close.

o

My wrens just watch me also. I love watching the young hatch and grow.

o

This used to happen to almost any hanging basket we put on the porch.

So we started hanging either wind chimes or mirrors from the hook with the basket. It scares the birds and they don't nest there. (I don't like to water with the nest there, don't want to disturb them.)

o

• Posted by dlhl z6 TN (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 07 at 12:56

I haven't tried this, but I've heard that if you put a red shiny Christmas ball ornament in the basket with the fern the birds will not nest there.

o

I would be honored. I have two family of robins in my large eaves, and two family of sparrow's that took over my bluebird boxes. I am disapointed that I don't have a bluebird family yet.But would not trade the ones I have,for anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here