Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cgjsmith

When to plant lettuce, peas, cabbage and broccolie?

cgjsmith
18 years ago

I know they tolerate the cold farily well but I don't want to be tricked by the nice warm weather we are having. and end up killing all our plants ha ha. So I thought I would check and see when everyone else is planting :D Crystal

Comments (8)

• Jan_Hobbs
    18 years ago

I already have cabbage and collard plants up. They already have their first set of leaves. I winter sowed them in milk jugs. If you aren't familiar with witnter sowing, go to that forum and read the FAQ. I also have cukes, and tomatoes coming up in containers.

We have already planted spinach, beets, mustard and turnips, onion plants, potatoes, all in the garden. I need to get my lettuce out, too.

Good luck

Jan

• big_orange_vol_
    18 years ago

CG Jan and Jim are south of Hohenwald. (They host the Middle Tennessee Plant Swap at their place.)

Most of us that are North of them, like Nashville, can't get our stuff out for at least a few more weeks without worrying about several more frosts. I forgot and left an Amaryllis out the other night and it looks pretty screwed-up right now. I never cease to amaze myself at how much stuff I can kill in a matter of hours. There are very few advantages to being a moron.

• Jan_Hobbs
    18 years ago

Jeff we might be south of Nashville, but we have frosts later than you do...Lewis county has its own micro-weather zone I have been told.

Winter sowing does miracles, though.

Jan

• hick
    17 years ago

I am new to TN but a lifelong farmer from the north and I have been planting when the season told me it was time to plant !

My Williamson County peas went in 23rd of February and they look good. We planted peas as early as we could work the ground up home in Ontario, Canada, ( late March or early April) and I would say the same holds true here.

Cabbage....ditto. Frost won't hurt cabbage.

Broccoli transplants went in about the 20th of March; when conditions mimiced planting time at home ( late April/early May) and I sowed corn at the same time. Corn looks excellent and is approaching a foot tall. Frost won't hurt young corn either...contrary to popular belief. I used to grow upwards of 500 acres of it, and I know.

• katiedidcottage
    17 years ago

While we are on the subject here, and looking forward to some cabbage, spinach, greens and broccoli which I've never planted, when do I plant them in the garden so they will mature before too heavy of frosts in the fall?

Katie

• ccb724
    16 years ago

What seeds can I plant now? I am in Memphis and I am itching to plant some seeds. I have some tomatoes and spinach and peppers started inside already. Thanks!
    Carrie

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

I have already started planting here in Atoka(right outside of Memphid). Everything looks good so far.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

UT Ag Extension's publications should answer most questions about when to plant all types of vegetables in different parts of the state. There is a considerable amount of information here if anyone is not familiar with this resource.

Here is a link that might be useful: UT Ag Extension Publications

Sponsored