Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
positivemom

Rain Barrels?

positivemom
16 years ago

There's a great thread on the Carolina forum about rain barrels. As in, where can you get them from? There are some suggestions about city programs, making your own, buying a pre-made barrel.

Since I've decided to embrace my progressive self (instead of squishing it down ... it always pops back up like a fishing bobber LOL), I wondered if anyone has some local info. After watching Middle TN burn to a crisp last summer, I'm more aware of water conservation this year. Are there any local municipal programs? Sources for food grade barrels?

Here's the Carolina link:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/carolgard/msg1219123617374.html

Amy

Comments (19)

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

Hi Amy, I got mine from the local car wash for five bucks.

• positivemom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is probably a stupid question ... but how did you know to ask for it??

• TnShadyLady
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link. I've been seriously considering getting a couple of rain barrels.

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

Amy, There are no stupid questions here. I work next door to a carwash. I saw all these barrels lined up so a lightbulb went off in my head. There are many available premade but that of course is beyond my budget. I really thought they would be free since they have so many. There really are tons of stuff online that tells you how to make one. I chose a white one to blend in with the house. It is way cheaper to make your own. Good luck! Rhonda

• predsfan_6b
    16 years ago

I just went to a workshop on making rain barrels this week. The instructor recommended getting food-grade barrels, which you can get from most places that manufacture or distribute food products. I got a 60 gallon barrel from a soda company; it was used to store soda syrup. The barrels end up in the landfill, so its worth asking for one (or more).

• maternut
    16 years ago

Any one close to me in west tn. that wants one send me a Email. Don't know as they are food grade but the contents went into drinking water at a water plant.
    Norman

• jasonrn
    15 years ago

Is getting barrels from a car wash safe?? Many site recommend food grade.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

The stuff from the carwash is probably concentrated, so a thorough wash may be necessary, but there shouldn't be anything in them that you couldn't wash out good enough.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

I take that back. If you don't have good access to all parts of the inside of the barrel, the liquid wax might possibly be a problem. I would think that if you checked the barrel out before you got it, you could open the lid and use your finger to see how much gunky residue was left inside. You might be able to tell what it had had in it. If it was soap or any of the other water soluable stuff, that would be washout-able. If it was wax, I'm not sure.

• jasonrn
    15 years ago

I guess reading the label made a little nervous. It is a Simonize super foam concentrate. It states on the label NOT to reuse the barrel. From the label: "Empty containers contain product residue, do not reuse."

My plan was to rinse it the best I could through the bung holes and the holes i drill to make the barrel.

The ingredients to not list any wax.

Jay

• fostina1
    15 years ago

im using an old boat i had to collect rainwater. got a hose hooked up to the plug. it seems to work really well.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

I wouldn't want to drink from a used carwash barrel, but if you rinse it out until no more foam is formed when water is sprayed into it, I would think the chances of any remaining residue hurting your plants would be very very slim. Simoniz Super Foam is completely water soluble so you should be able to rinse it out of the barrel without much difficulty.

You would really freak if you knew what I use to water my trees. I have 5 gallon buckets that originally came with hydraulic fluid and motor oil in them.

• honeybunny442
    15 years ago

I got my barrels from the farm co-op, and they had alcohol inside them (I think farmers use it for diluting fertilizer or something). The first one I rinsed the heck out of, the second one I got smart and left it open a day or two until the alcohol (methanol) evaporated.

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

Wanted to extend a huge thanks to maternut for the three Polly drums destined to be rain collection barrels.
    Took a lovely drive out to the country, was amazed at the size of his blueberry and fig plants!

• mooses10
    15 years ago

I found ours at a nashville Ace hardware. they were like 10-20 dollars depending on the size.

• cmarks
    15 years ago

I just bought my 55 gallon plastic barrel last week in Nashville from the local Coca Cola bottling plant on Craigshead by the fairgrounds. Call first, they only sell them one day a week. The 55 gallon ones are $6 a barrel. You need to call Monchellas Williams at (615) 383-6230 beforehand and she'll tell you the time & day they sell these. Then go to this website to see what you need to buy, how to build it and how to hook it up. Only takes a few dollars in parts: http://www.nashville.gov/stormwater/docs/pdfs/Rain_Barrel.pdf

I'm building mine next week!

-Chris

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

I hurried like mad to get my barrels finished and in place before the "big rain storm" rolled in..... soon as I hooked the last one up it stopped drizzling and the sun came out! Hasn't rained a drop since that day, two weeks ago!

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

>Hasn't rained a drop since that day, two weeks ago!

I happily take that all back! It's pouring outside and the barrels are collecting beautifully... Times like this make me wish I had a barrel attached to _every_ downspout of the house!

Sponsored