mstagjd120

Memphis Swap - plant wish list/plants to share

mstagjd120
15 years ago

Is anyone interested in:

Solomon's seal

Little seedlings of "Love in a Mist"/Nigella

Garlic Chives

Turks Cap Lillies (common orange & black)

Black eye susans

Candlestick flower/Arum

Let me know...Jennifer

Comments (50)

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

I'll have seedlings of:

Tomato:
    Park's Whopper Cr Improved
    Park's Beefy Boy HybridÂ

Peas:
    Super Sugar Snap
    Blondie

Green and Red sweet peppers....

And whatever else I ordered and forgot about.

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

I just got the chance to go dig up a lot down the street. Will have tons of goodies with me! Place has been there since the 30's.

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

ohhh Lani, what did you find?

I am bringing some Lambs ear, anise hyssop, I will bring a few brugmansia cuttings, christmas cactus, morning glory tree, and I have some adenium seedlings if they continue to grow. Yall know how I like my tropicals!! And anything else come up with between now and then.

Mary

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Jennifer, Mary, you both have things that I still have not gotten.

I went up to the yard, it has what they used to call the flowering fence( 3 different bushes I will have the names by the swap),also 3 colors of daffadills, irises(do not know color),several kinds of flowering vines ( will get names later)

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Hello???? Where are you all?

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

I'm right here...

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

Got my order in from Park Seed.

I started the first round of seeds, and I'll be starting another batch in a week or two, just to be safe.

If all goes well I'll have plenty of seedlings of the following:

5231 Super Sugar Snap Pea
    5236 Blondie Pea
    5868 Large Leaf Organic Italian Basil
    0271 Italian Basil
    5339 Beefy Boy Hybrid Tomato
    2380 Parks Whopper CR Improved Hybrid Tomato 5291 Karma Hybrid Pepper
    5603 Cool Breeze Hybrid Cucumber

You can visit the Park Seed website (link below) to get full info on them

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.parkseed.com

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Where are the other west Tn group?

We need to know what you are looking for to help you out.

I will only bring ferns if someone wants them.

Anyone want solid vinica vine?
    Flowering quince cuttings?
    Forsantha shrubs?
    Bridal shrub?
    Mystery iriss?
    Water plants?

We need to hear from you!!!!!

• judydean
    15 years ago

Lani, I would love some fern. Don't know yet what I'm bringing. Judy

• leighmac
    15 years ago

Late to the party, again ,as usual. I am sorry to say we may not get a speaker as this is big time volunteer at the plant sales and every other thing time for the master gardeners! I am hoping still to hear from someone about water features. At this point I'll take anyone for any topic.
    Okay, my wish list... Lani, I need ferns and forsythias.. I still really don't know about how much sun vs. shade I have. Hostas? John, I've definitely got room for a fig tree, but can they take part sun? I have found fruiting trees in the back yard: golden delicious apple, plum, maybe mulberries? I am looking these up to see what I need to do to get them to grow fruit. I am reclaiming a few flower beds in the back and fighting a multitude of weeds and groundcovers. I am about to install a lasagna bed for veggies and am trying to plan additional spots for above ground flower sites. Front yard is dry clay shade. I am currently digging up common monkey grass and chunking it into the front yard. My landlords are wonderful and I am supposed to get a spigot replaced in the front so I can water. That should help. Gosh I have been so busy and have to remind myself a garden is not built in a day or a week nor a year. I am so impatient, due to my past successes. I drove by my old place and I can see my plants coming up and the weeds are terrible. Heartbreaking to see all my hard,loving work go to pot. So it is. I can't wait to see you all.

• judydean
    15 years ago

My tithonia seeds all came up, so I will be bringing Fiesta del Sol for anyone who wants some. Great butterfly plant. Will bring other stuff - just don't know what yet. No irises or daylilies this time. Lani, if you have any forsythia left over, I have a neighbor who wants some. Judy

• leighmac
    15 years ago

Folks, I will have to miss the swap!!!! Unthinkable, I know, but my Mother and her husband are coming down from Indiana to see me that very weekend. I haven't seen them for a little over a year, so I can't in good conscience steal away even for a few hours that day! Dangit! I am so sorry I will miss out on seeing y'all fine people. Oh, and all the plants I might have snagged! John, If you bring that fine vino, please send a toast my way. I will check back for a follow up on how the swap went. Thanks, Leigh

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Leigh,

If you will post what you want/need, I will get it for you and meet you to give it to you. Please just let us know what it is.

• judydean
    15 years ago

Lani, I can bring some hostas for Leigh. Judy

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

leighmac, that is much sadness, for us!
    You don't think they would enjoy a little fresh air and plants and juice??

• judydean
    15 years ago

I will be bringing some pineapple sage (leaves smell like pineapple and blooms red in fall and hummingbirds love it), and some Walker's Low catmint. Just started dividing my garden. Judy

• mstagjd120
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Judy, I would love some pineapple sage. I think I have parsley in the garden from last year - were you looking for parsley earlier?
    Jennifer

• judydean
    15 years ago

Yes, my parsley didn't come up. Thanks! I'll save you some pineapple sage. Judy

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

I should be bringing some pots, don't know what all I have yet but I am getting a stack ready.

mary

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

Just got back form Ethridge, TN where I got (3) genuine Amish friendship Bread starters... If I do it right, I can have 9 - 12 starts to send folks home with as well as enough to bake 3 loaves for the swap.

Despite what you'd think by it using a packet of pudding mix this is a 100% genuine Amish recipe.

And it's GOOOOD the loaf we left with didn't make it the 4 hour ride back to Memphis.

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Judy, If you have extra cat litter boxes, I am sure others would love to have them. I made a strawberry planter out of one of mine I brought home.

• judydean
    15 years ago

I will bring several TidyCat litter containers. If it's not too much trouble, can you take a photo of your strawberry planter? I can't imagine making one out of a yellow plastic bucket. Judy

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

Lani, there was something of mine you had your eye on.....what was it? I am trying to get organized.

Mary

• jenfee
    15 years ago

Hi ladies (and gentlemen, I'm sure),

I've moved from home, but my little brother is in Memphis, considering a garden this year. He's just lost his job :( and I'm trying to convince him to focus on gardening for food for a bit. Could anyone let me know when you plan your swap, and is anyone willing to share some seedlings with him? Flowers are great, but I think he wants to concentrate on food for the moment.

My sister would be happy to contribute homemade food to your swap gathering (do your do that there?) I'd also be willing to send along some plants of what I have here in exchange.

I know it's an unorthodox way of exhcangeing, but is anyone willing to help him get a start?

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

jenfee,
    That is exactly the premise behind my idea of the community garden I'm working to establish at the church!

I just took all the remaining seeds from this years order and seed exchanges and started them. Lots of tomato, some sweet red peppers, and basil's...

I'm going to plant up the renaming cucumbers and peas tomorrow as well as anything else I can find.

He is welcome to any of those that germinate!

• sjackwheat
    15 years ago

Hello all!!! I have been in contact with Lani and we are planning to come together to the swap. I would like some Turks cap lily from Jennifer and some Adenium from Mary. I still have a promised plant for Mary that I will be bringing. This is what I will have to bring so far that I know of...
    Lemon yellow Iris
    Pale yellow Iris
    Lavender Iris
    White Iris
    Yellow "water" Iris
    Prickly pear cactus
    Variegated Vinca Vine
    Naked Lady bulbs
    And whatever else I come up with between now and then. See you all soon! Jackie

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

I would like:

Solomon's seal
    Little seedlings of "Love in a Mist"/Nigella
    Candlestick flower/Arum
    Green and Red sweet peppers
    Fiesta del Sol
    Lambs ear,
    anise hyssop
    pineapple sage
    brugmansia cuttings

See I do not want much! LOL!

Jackie and I found some different kind of day lilly also, and I have snow drop bulbs.
    Plus double paper white daffs.
    More to bring too. Anyone want trilliums?
    I am going into the woods tomorrow to play and dig.

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Jackie and I just went and dug up the following, Lace cap hygrangia (heirloom), cedar trees, broad leaf oak trees,pin leaf oak trees,rose of sharons (color unknown), paper white double bloom daffs, star of bethlehims,ferns,red bloom trilliums,...I am hot and whipped out. My mind is slipping.

• sjackwheat
    15 years ago

And......Wisteria starts, Sassafras trees, and a dogwood tree too! Jackie

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

ohhh Lani, Lace cap hydrangea? I want one!!!

Mary

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Done Mary!

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

Thanks!!! I can't wait till next week end!! I am so glad we pushed this back a weekend! I got to go to my daughters state tournament and she won 5th in the state for TV broadcasting.....I was very proud, it took a lot of work just to get to the tournament and then to make it to the final round, lots of competition!!!

Mary

• garden_proj_mgr
    15 years ago

Just to make sure I've got the details right...
    Time: ???
    And do we bring a dish for a potluck or anything? Thanks!

Also, if anyone does vermicomposting I'm looking for worms if you have any available :)

For plants, looks like I will have:
    Â Tomato seedlings
    Â Â Â probably some heirloom Pink Brandywine, red cherry, and roma tomatoes
    Â Herb seedlings
    Â Â Â sage
    Â Â Â parsley
    Â Â Â thyme
    Â Â Â marjoram
    Â Â Â Genovese Basil
    Â Flower seedlings
    Â Â Â kaleidoscope 4 O'Clocks
    Â Â Â convolvulous blue

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Jackie and I will be there to set up by 9:00.

• judydean
    15 years ago

Lani, may I have a red trillium? I looked it up at Dave's Garden and it's beautiful! I am bringing another type of salvia (besides the pineapple sage) - black & blue salvia and Purple Majesty. Both get about 3 - 4 ft. high. The Purple Majesty is a gentleman and stays put. The Black & Blue runs like crazy, so beware! Judy

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

I'd like to put a sassafras tree in at the church!

Most of the second batch of seeds I started are propagating... tomato, cucumber, peas, etc.

garden_proj_mgr definately will like some of your Herb seedlings.

WOO HOOO! IT'S A PARTY!!!!

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

Anybody want me to dig up some elderberry suckers that have come up?

These are the bushes that produced berries I used to make my Gold Medal winning elderberry "juice"..

They came directly from Wyldewood Cellars (link below) and are an amazing strain of Elderberry that does extremely well here in our humidity&heat and drought.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wyldewood Cellars.com

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

PARTY TIME!!!!!!

I will take a sucker,if you dig one up.

Jdy, I will have plenty!

• mstagjd120
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mary - congrats on your daughter's tournament!

Just a few days now. I plan to bring:

tomato and hot pepper plants
    some miscellaneous flower seedlings
    Arum/candlestick flower
    Nigella
    Turks cap lillies
    Parsley

I can't wait!
    -Jennifer

• mstagjd120
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm bringing Solomon's seal also. I left that off my list earlier.

• garden_proj_mgr
    15 years ago

Sandsquid, I would LOVE a sucker!

I came across elderberry juice and elderflower sparkling juice over the winter and became very interested :)

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Just talked to Jackie, she said to add that she is bringing verigated hosta. I am also bringing a few pussywillows.

John, jackie would like two suckers too.

See you all Saturday!!!!!!!!

• judydean
    15 years ago

OK, here's my list of what I'm bringing:
    2 Washington Hawthorne trees
    1 Goldenrain tree
    Variegated hostas for Leigh
    Pineapple sage for Jennifer, Lani, and 2 extras
    Purple Majesty salvia (several)
    Black & Blue salvia (several)
    7 cups of Fiesta del Sol tithonias (Lani, & others)
    Walker's Low nepeta (2007 perennial of the year) (several)
    Tidy Cat buckets
    Msc. plant/garden stuff

I hope to get:
    Parsley from Jennifer, 4 o'clock seedlings from Garden ProjMgr, Forsythia, fern, trillium, and solid vinca from Lani, cucumber (salad, sweet, miniature) seedlings from anybody. Someone is saving Gerise and me a passion vine, but I've forgotten who. Other goodies, yet to be seen.

If I've forgotten a trade or you want your name on something, let me know. Judy

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

That was me with the passion vines, I have a few coming up in the yard so I should have a few extra I am going to get everything together tomorrow. I would love one of you walker's low nepeta!

Are we doing a pot luck lunch? I know several folks left before lunch last year so I just wanted to know before I cook something.

Mary

• judydean
    15 years ago

Thanks Mary! I am looking forward to the vines. I'll save you some Walker's Low. I left last year before the lunch, but this year I can stay. Don't know what to bring tho'. Any suggestions? Judy

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

I am bringing some sort of casserole. I think one of the best parts of the swap last year was everyone sitting down at the picnic table and chatting. Is there anyone interested in english ivy? I have some in a large pot on my patio, if someone is interested I will see if I can lift it out.......just a few more hours......I am so excited!!!

Mary

• mstagjd120
    Original Author
    15 years ago

whew - I just raced home from work to dig up plants and get them ready to load up tomorrow. I think it will be a great morning and hopefully we will beat the rain.

I am planning to bring a crock-pot rotel-type dip tomorrow.

I am planning to get there around 9 & am looking forward to it tremendously! Gardeners make the best crowd, you know! LOL!

-Jennifer

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

I'll be there at about 0700-0800 to get the coffee going and perhaps make up a few pancakes for the early risers.

Lunch, of course!

If it rains we can dine inside or set up some tables & chairs under the awning in front of the Church.

Same goes for the plantswapping we can shift indoors if need be.

• sjackwheat
    15 years ago

Sorry to say at the last minute that Lani will not be coming. She left me a message saying that her brother had passed away and had to leave town. I will still be attending unless anything else comes up. Jackie

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

I am sorry to hear that. Do you think you will be taking any plants to her when she gets back? I know I promised her a few things.....I may have a box around here I can grab for her plants.

Mary

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz