Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roses4kris

Is Sargent crabapple a good ET choice?

roses4kris
16 years ago

I'd like to hear from anyone with a Sargent crabapple. Would you recommend this variety? Is it easy and reliable in the Knoxville area? How large does it get and how fast does it grow? Would full sun or dappled shade be a better location? Please add any other info that would be helpful. Thanks for your input.

Comments (4)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I don't have one, but Malus sargentii looks like it should do well here. It is rated for zones 4-8, so it should do fine in our winters. It's adaptable to many different soil types. It's reported to be resistant to 3 of the 4 major apple diseases (cedar apple rust, apple scab, and mildew) but somewhat susceptible to moderately resistant to fire blight. It's also listed as generally disease resistant and resistant to Japanese beetles.

I think the only two problems you'd likely encounter are fireblight and problems with drought if we had another summer as bad as last year. If you do have fireblight problems, a quick response can lesson the severity.

Overall, I'd say the Sargent Crabapple looks very promising!

Here is a link that might be useful: UT Ag Ext Fireblight Brochure

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I forgot to answer two of your questions.

Sargent crabapple is a small tree (mature height and width of 8-15' x 12-18'), so it isn't going to be a rapid grower.

It needs at least 6 hours of direct sunlight per day. LIGHT afternoon/evening shade wouldn't hurt, but it's not an understory type of tree.

• roses4kris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brandon--Thanks for your response. Is there a different variety you'd recommend over Sargent? Or any other smallish ornamental tree? I just want something that shouts SPRING! Maybe a redbud? Thanks again.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

From what I've seen, the biggest problem with redbuds is their tendency to have poor branching structure. Sharp crotch angles and weak wood frequently cause redbuds to split apart especially in high wind. Large mature redbuds in good condition are not nearly as common as they should be given the number of redbuds out there. Careful pruning from a young age can solve this problem, but it takes some level of pruning knowledge and skill as well as patience and dedication to regular maintenance of these trees. If you do decide to get a redbud, spend the extra money and get one that has been trained and pruned properly to start with and make sure you are up to the task of keeping it that way. One of the more expensive nurseries (like Thress Nursery) is more likely to have a higher quality (better branch structure) specimen.

Redbuds are also susceptible to canker, Verticillium wilt, leaf spots, various borers, scale, and webworms. When the tree starts breaking apart, these enemies have a much easier time attacking their victim. I think redbuds are beautiful but question whether they are a prime choice for landscaping.

It's hard to know what trees to recommend because there are so many. If I were starting from scratch, I'd look around at some local neighborhoods for trees I liked, check out at least a few of the local nurseries (make sure you include Beaver Creek Nursery [www.beavercreeknursery.net - but I notice the site doesn't seem to be working completely tonight] in your search), look through some gardening catalogs (Wayside Gardens, Khlem's Song Sparrow Farm and Nursery, etc.), and maybe review some of the posts over on the tree forum. Remember to always check out mail order nurseries on Garden Watchdog before buying from them! I will be happy to answer questions about specific trees, but making a list is somewhat time consuming.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations