Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Everblooming semidouble swamp rose

Posted by krikit Z7 TN (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 08 at 21:35

I'd love to know more about this rose. I believe Donna_in_TN lists on her member page that she grows this rose. Can you or anyone else give me more info? Any chance you'll be at the Knox Plant Swap????

Frances

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Everblooming semidouble swamp rose

What exactly is a "swamp rose"?

o

Rosa palustris -- the swamp rose. I have one myself, but it is neither everblooming nor semidouble.

o
Ahh -- additional info

I just looked it up, and Rosa palustris scandens is the double form. It still ain't everblooming, though.

o

Thanks for the info amazindirt. I wondered about it when I saw this listed as everblooming because I couldn't find anything on an everblooming swamp rose. Do you like your swamp rose?

Thanks,
Frances

o

Ehh. I've never given mine enough sun for it to do much of anything, and I haven't had it long enough for it to be really mature (although it's around 4-5 feet tall right now). I have been growing mine in a pot set in a kiddie pool.

I might be talked out of it, ifn ya wanna swap me fer it. ;-)

o

Ha! you little devil you, of course I'd love to swap - but .... I can't imagine I've got anything that you'd like to have. I'll send you a PM.

o

I do have that rose (although I'm not sure that it isn't the repeat blooming R. virginiana). It does repeat well. Mine now lives on a dry clay knoll and survived last year (it's that good.)
Can it handle continuously wet roots? I don't know. I do think I know the plant came from Louisiana (which argues for it being palustris) because the natural range of viginiana ends on the East Coast north of Virginia and doesn't reach VA at all.
But was it traded?
Very possibly.
It is a good rose for a cottage garden or a wild looking expanse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here