Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mww181

Anyone growing pomegranates?

mww181
18 years ago

I have one planted outside that I grew from seed a couple of years ago and it is about 4 feet tall. The K-mart in Athens,Tn has them for sale this year, the "Wonderful" variety. I doubt that they would ripen fruit but it would be a novelty for a plant collector.

Comments (42)

• irisaddict
    18 years ago

I'm growing pomegranates about 20 miles south of Nashville. Last year I had at least 3 blooms and one yummy pomegranate (I was soooo proud). I saw some bushes at Conway, AR last year which should be similiar in zone that were just covered with blooms.

Where is Athens, TN and have you seen them in any other stores? Is this Kmart carrying any other unusual edibles?

Good luck!
    Evelyn

• mww181
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Evelyn,

Athens is in east TN about half way between Chattanooga and Knoxville. K-mart here is carrying Celeste figs as well which is the variety I would recommend. I have a brown turkey planted next to my Celeste and it has never had a fruit and dies back every year where as the Celeste is loaded every year. I'm glad to hear that you were able to get a pomegrante off your plant, I"m really tempted to get one of the "Wonderful" pomegranate plants to go with the seedling I have.

• maternut
    18 years ago

I took some cuttings last year from a lady's tree. She said it never had fruit. Sure was a pretty thing, when in bloom.
    Had three or four live gave all but one away.
    Norm

• Jan_Hobbs
    18 years ago

Norman... would you save the last one for me??? Please, please please??? That is if you are giving it away. What can I bring you to trade for it?

Jan

• irisaddict
    18 years ago

My pomegranates are babies from the ones my mother planted over 30 years ago in OK. Would someone like to "plant-bribe" me to try to bring a division to the swap?

BTW, much to my surprise the Kmart in Franklin also had the pomegranate and fig. Unfortunately, the pom was in a 3 gallon pot so it was $17. Didn't see the price on the fig since there was a nasty north wind and I was shopping from the truck.

Evelyn

• mari5us
    18 years ago

Irisaddict,
    I'd love to bribe/trade you for a piece of your pomgranate. I love that it is an heirloom. Also 'I'd love to have a start of your figs if possible. Email me and let me know what you'd like in trade.
    Marianne

• irisaddict
    18 years ago

I'm planning to dig and divide the pomegranate next week, after the Bloomin' Garden Expo in Franklin. I have a gardening friend from Maryland coming to visit and Expo. Since it is a gardening friend I have to work on the house and yard more and both are a bit scary now.

Marianne, you will be at the Mid TN Swap won't you? I have a little elephant ear lust from reading your swap list. That would probably be my choice. I'll get around to variety preference later.

Evelyn

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    18 years ago

HIyall --

I'm growing a dwarf pomegranate, but I haven't had it long enough to see blooms or fruits. Pope's nursery in Maryville is selling a full-sized pomegranate this spring, dunno the variety.

Evelyn, if you end up with extra starts of your mom's pom, I'd love one!

• irisaddict
    18 years ago

Amazindirt,

If I have a happy split, I will definitely save one for you. It is great to have something you would like since I just looked at your "have list" and felt very inadequate and didn't see anything on your "want list" that I had.

I'm still waiting to see if the poms handled the split and transplant okay so I'll update later.

Evelyn

• irisaddict
    17 years ago

Norm,

Could you give me some instructions to take pom cuttings. I had less than stellar results with the transplanting and dividing. Another thread said they started very easily from seed. I would like to swap some plants some time just to increase cross-polination. I was out yesterday with a small paintbrush trying to help polinate. HOpe that wasn't a mistake.
    Evelyn

• maternut
    17 years ago

Evelyn the cuttings I took were from old wood with new wood
    coming out of that. Sort of like a upside down T gosh it's
    hard for me to say anything thats important. Was new growth
    on old wood. Don't know if that's the correct way or not.
    Bet Marty could tell you the proper way. I had about 60%
    sucess. Oh I did use Root Tone.
    Norm

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Ok all of ya'll I have a great big fig that is in full bloom. My grandmother has the biggest pomegranate i know of. 2 in fact. tell me what i have to do and I will.
    Love
    Martha

• maternut
    17 years ago

Just potted 15 cuttings from a tree that produces fruit.
    Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best. The first
    one that survies will have Jan's name on it.
    Norm

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    17 years ago

Norm -- fig or pomegranate cuttings? I'd love to get a full-sized (as opposed to dwarf) pomegranate cutting. If that's what you potted up, please think about saving me one for the fall swap. :-)

• maternut
    17 years ago

Pomegranates full size, but they have to root before I can
    give them away. Watering them 2 or 3 times a day. Trying real
    hard to save them.
    Norm

• irisaddict
    17 years ago

I'll try to do cuttings too. That way we might get better polination. My poms are 7' or so. There are about 18 blooms on them. I'll probably be out tomorrow with a paintbrush playing bumble bee.

Figs - I have a couple itty-bitty figs but I never seen the blooms. I'll have to watch more carefully.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    17 years ago

Figs don't bloom, as such. The fig itself is actually the bloom!

Norm -- if you want more fig varieties, please let me know. I'm currently rooting several varieties of cuttings, and if they root successfully I'd be happy to bring some to the fall swap. :-)

• irisaddict
    17 years ago

Marianne & Amazindirt,

I was a bit premature when I said my pomegranates that I divided died. I think I have two alive for you guys. Will you be at the fall swap? I plan to if I don't have a work conflict.

Evelyn

• mari5us
    17 years ago

Hi Evelyn,
    Whoo Hoo-- Success!!! Yes, I'll be at the fall swap. Thank you!! I can't wait for pomgranates!
    Marianne

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    17 years ago

Thanks Evelyn! I'm gonna TRY to be there, but I don't know my schedule that far in advance. Thanks for thinking of us!

• lucky_p
    17 years ago

Best way to propagate pomegranates is from dormant-collected cuttings, but I have done them with midsummer cuttings, under glass.
    Here's a little blurb on rooting pomegranate cuttings:
    "New plants may also be obtained by taking cuttings from known fruitful individuals. Pomegranates grown from seed do not come true-to-type. To propagate by cuttings, remove shoots 6 to 8 inches long, with the thickness of a pencil or larger. Cuttings should be taken in February or March and placed vertically in soil with the top dormant bud exposed. Dusting a rooting hormone, such as Rootone, on the cut end may speed root formation."

Most of the typical pomegranate varieties, like Wonderful, are going to be unlikely to mature fruit much farther 'north' than a zone 7/8 interface, and may even be killed back to the ground if not in a sheltered location in a zone 7 setting. But, there are some Russian/central Asian/Iranian selections that can take subzero temps and still fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak Creek Orchard - cold-hardy pomegranates

• joe_n_sc
    17 years ago

Hey guys, I know this is a late post but I was doing a search for poms and saw yours. I read that the "Wonderful" variety doesn't produce fruit, it is just grown for the blooms. I have a pom that I need to get the seeds out of. Are there any special instructions on growing them from seed? Please email me @ thnkfl4plntz@yahoo.com. Thanks, Joel.

• lucky_p
    17 years ago

Joel,
    I don't know where you got your info on 'Wonderful', but it's wrong. Wonderful is probably the most widely-planted vareity for fruit production - though some of the newer introductions may be better. Heck, if you look in the groceries, you can now get 'Pom Wonderful' juice - presumably from the Wonderful variety, though I realize it's just a tradename.

I've got a dozen or more pomegranate seedlings growing in the flowerbed in front of my porch which grew from the seeds in a pomegranate fruit that rotted before I got around to eating it last winter - and I just pitched it out into the bed to continue its decomposition. Hence, it looks to me like it'd be pretty easy to grow them from seed.

• dede_gardener
    16 years ago

I just wanted to post an encouraging word for all who are trying to root pomegranate cuttings. If the cuttings survive it seems they need about 3 years of vegetative growth before they start producing fruit. My father has a pomegranate tree that was planted by the previous owner of his home (bought in 1997). The previous owner was very into exotic plants and organic gardening. There is also a VERY large fig tree that this year has grown to at least 15 feet tall and the branches span about 20ft.

The pomegranate tree was about 4 ft tall when my father moved in, so its probably about 12yrs old now. My parents kept the tree lightly pruned. After about 3 yrs in the house the tree started producing fruit. Now each fall there are so many fruit that my parents mostly give them away. The tree produces alot of new growth each year, so pruning s a must.

I say just be patient with the pomegranate babies and before long you'll have pomegranate out the wazoo!

• sandsquid
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing the encouragement! I've bees really seating it because of the heavy clay I have, and I have two trees on order (expecting delivery in Dec.) From T*T* a "Plantation Sweet", and from Willis Orchards a "White".

I have raised beds built into/out-of a South facing slope, that gets full sun from dawn to dusk, so they "should" survive. I hear the first 2 years is the make/break period.

Also a good friend of mine ordered a "Wonderful" and a "Grenada" ordered from Willis, and we are going to exchange cuttings next fall, after the first pruning's of our respective trees.

That fig sounds scary! I'll have to keep the shears handy for the three that I'm planting this fall as well. I've only allocated 15 foot spacing between each of them. I'm pruning/shaping for fig "bushes" vice fig "trees"

• benij
    15 years ago

I'm planning to plant a pomegranate tree in my yard and need suggestions. I live in western washington and heard that Russian pomegranate type "Favorite" does well in this environment. Any ideas? Most nurseries sell 1-1.5 feet. Anybody knows where I can buy a larger tree or at least more established then 1.5 foot. and or any other suggestions for planting pomegranate in Western Washington.

• pvel
    15 years ago

hi, i am new to this forum.
    i am planning to grow a pomegranate tree and would like to know what variety would be best to grow in jonesboro, arkansas. this is zone 7, in northeast arkansas, 60 miles northwest of memphis tennessee.
    i would appreciate any help. we do get down into the teens(fahrenheit)in the winter, so i imagine i would need a hardier variety.
    thnaks

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

Zone 7 is a "fringe" zone.

Winter protection or planting next to a south wall - even without protection, they may be hardy enough to survive, but since they produce fruit on 2-yr old wood, if you got moderate freeze damage, it might eliminate fruiting some years.

If you protect the trees in the first few winters by wrapping them in some insulation, to protect them from the drying winds and occasional cold snaps, you will be fine.

Little irrigation, proper fertilization, and lots of heat and sun shine are the key factors to growing a healthy and fruitful pomegranate tree. Pruning is also important to keep your pomegranate tree in good shape.

They do root very easily from dormant cuttings!!!

I have a Plantation Sweet installed at my home:
    http://www.willisorchards.com/product/Sweet+Pomegranate+Tree

And a Grenada I planted at my church:
    http://www.willisorchards.com/product/Grenada+Pomegranate+Tree

My best bud has a Wonderful at his house:
    http://www.willisorchards.com/product/Wonderful+Pomegranate+Tree

This fall I am going to be taking cuttings and rooting them so we can each have one of each at all three locations.

I really want one of the new Red Angels:
    http://www.willisorchards.com/product/Angel+Red+Pomegranate+Tree

If you are of mind to get a Red Angel, I'd be happy to swap you cuttings of the ones we have, in exchange for some cuttings off your red angel.

You can also order cuttings from the NCGR Pomegranate collection at UC-Davis (Google 'NCGR Punica').

There are some Russian, Iranian, Eastern European varieties that may be more cold hardy (Kazake & Salavatsky), so request some from UC Davis to try.

Some may make it some may not, but all you loose is the cost of shipping and you might just gain a real beauty or two.

Unless you buy a 3 or more year old tree, I would not expect any fruit the first couple of years.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

Hey Squid --

Do you know anything about rooting summer cuttings in poms? I found a large, very beautiful blooming pomegranate over at UT that I'd like cuttings from, but I noticed you specifically mentioned dormant cuttings.

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

reportedly, green cuttings root as easy, or easier, but I have not done it personally

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna give it a try. I don't know what variety this plant is, but it has beautiful big UT orange pom pom blooms on it. :-)

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

per: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/pomegranate.html#Propagation

Propagation

Pomegranate seeds germinate readily even when merely thrown onto the surface of loose soil and the seedlings spring up with vigor. However, to avoid seedling variation, selected cultivars are usually reproduced by means of hardwood cuttings 10 to 20 in (25-50 cm) long. Treatment with 50 ppm. indole-butyric acid and planting at a moisture level of 15.95% greatly enhances root development and survival. The cuttings are set in beds with 1 or 2 buds above the soil for 1 year, and then transplanted to the field. Grafting has never been successful but branches may be air-layered and suckers from a parent plant can be taken up and transplanted.

Culture

Rooted cuttings or seedlings are set out in pre-fertilized pits 2 ft (60 cm) deep and wide and are spaced 12 to 18 ft (3.5-5.5 m) apart, depending on the fertility of the soil. Initially, the plants are cut back to 24 to 30 in (60-75 cm) in height and after they branch out the lower branches are pruned to provide a clear main stem. Inasmuch as fruits are borne only at the tips of new growth, it is recommended that, for the first 3 years, the branches be judiciously shortened annually to encourage the maximum number of new shoots on all sides, prevent straggly development, and achieve a strong, well-framed plant. After the 3rd year, only suckers and dead branches are removed.

For good fruit production, the plant must be irrigated. In Israel, brackish water is utilized with no adverse effect. In California, irrigation water is supplied by overhead sprinklers which also provide frost protection during cold spells. The pomegranate may begin to bear in 1 year after planting out, but 2 1/2 to 3 years is more common.

Harvesting and Yield

The fruits ripen 6 to 7 months after flowering. In Israel, cultivar 'Wonderful' is deemed ready for harvest when the soluble solids (SSC) reach 15%. In California, maturity has been equated with 1.8% titratable acidity (TA) and SSC of 17% or more. The fruit cannot be ripened off the tree even with ethylene treatment. Growers generally consider the fruit ready for harvest if it makes a metallic sound when tapped. The fruit must be picked before over maturity when it tends to crack open if rained upon or under certain conditions of atmospheric humidity, dehydration by winds, or insufficient irrigation. Of course, one might assume that ultimate splitting is the natural means of seed release and dispersal.

The fruits should not be pulled off but clipped close to the base so as to leave no stem to cause damage in handling and shipping. Appearance is important, especially in the United States where pomegranates may be purchased primarily to enhance table arrangements and other fall (harvest-time) decorations. Too much sun exposure causes sunscaldÂbrown, russeted blemishes and roughening of the rind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruits of Warm Climates -...

• fcasanover
    15 years ago

How exactly do you make and plant a cutting of a pomegranate? What time of year should you do that in?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Pomegranates are pretty easy to propagate. Here are my recommendations.

Take 8" to 12" long cuttings in winter from one-year old wood. Remove any tender tips and leaves. Treat the cuttings with rooting hormone (optional) and plant them about two-thirds deep into a damp (not wet) soilless potting mix of about 60% pearlite and 40% peat or peat based potting mix. A plant-grade (rinsed) coir would probably be an even better substitute for the peat. Cover with clear plastic to conserve moisture. Place them in light shade to keep them from cooking inside the plastic cover. You can use bottom heat (70 to 80 degrees) to increase root development. Planting them in a clear plastic container helps you to see root development. If you do use a clear potting container, make sure it has drainage holes and cover it with a paper wrap to eliminate light reaching the soil which can increase mold development.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

I took some cuttings this summer, because that was the only time I could get them. I've got them inside this winter, and so far (crossing fingers!) they are doing well. I did basically what Brandon advised, except that I think I used regular potting mix (can't remember now!). I like to use 1 liter clear soda bottles (the "Sam's Choice" sparkling water bottles work great) for mini-greenhouses, and I've got those covering the cuttings (I cut the bottoms off, then push them down into the soil over the cuttings).

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

I've been using 16.9 oz bottled-water bottles for my pots and 24 oz diet Pepsi bottles for the tops. Sometimes I put 1 cutting per bottle, and sometimes I do 3 per bottle. I like the idea of being able to see the roots once they develop and the ease of being able to take the top on and off without any difficulty. Some types of cuttings are notorious for growing leaves and looking like they are doing great but not growing roots. I cut paper to go around the smaller bottoms to prevent mold growth. I wish I had used coir this time, but I didn't have any on hand.

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

Just got my 1 year old (14") Angel Red in....
    It is very healthy with GREAT root development.

Since I did the same last year with my Plantation Sweet and it worked out well. I [planted it outside this morning and put a Blue-X vine/plant tube over it...

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue X

• ccjsigel_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I bought a plant at Costco that has not shown any leaves yet - it looks dead! But when I broke a branch it was clearly still alive. Anyone know how long it takes for the leaves to start growing? Its a small plant - not more than 2 feet tall.

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

None on my pomegranates have broken bud yet, they are the last thing in my yard to break, but I pruned them back a wee bit and all the cuttings were green inside. So I'm sure they are just napping.

If I tilt my head just right, and squint really hard, I think I can imagine I see buds forming.

Poms like LOTS OF HEAT
    and DON"T LIKE WET FEET

Consider where it grows best (Iraq, Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iran, India, Pakistan, Syria, Turkey, the drier parts of southeast Asia, Peninsular Malaysia, the East Indies, and tropical Africa) and you should get an idea what conditions it likes best

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    10 years ago

if anyone is still growing poms and want to trade some cuttings please let me know. I have a small collection of some good varieties. looking to trade cutting for cutting on anything you have but wonderful.. Also if your pomegranate is from seed or elsewhere and doesn't grow palatable fruits yearly please don't share cuttings of that variety with me or the next man it's just not right. please feel free to message me no matter how old this thread is and we can work something out.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Ediblelandscaping.sc,

This is not the time to take/grow pomegranate cuttings. I have over a dozen named cultivars (most chosen to do well in cooler areas, like here in Tennessee), but I think taking cuttings now would be a waste of postage and effort.

• usaoutlook
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

i love pomegranate, I'm glad to know that it can grow in Tennessee where I live now, I live in an apartment, no garden, if I will have a garden one day, first thing I will try to grow pomegranates, I'm from Iraq where you can buy 2 pounds for $1-3 !, its very expensive in US and more expensive in Europe !!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!