Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens in pots

Posted by diggity zone 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 26, 09 at 21:48

Can anyone tell me if it would be safe to go ahead and put some potted impatiens outside? I have an old bicycle and I want to plant some in a couple of clay pots and put them in the basket, but I wanna make sure it's ok to do so now. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens in pots

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 13:55

If you can take them inside (garage, shed, etc) in the unlikely event that we get another freeze, I think they'd be fine.

o

I agree, I have already set my tropicals out but they are just in the driveway in case I have to haul them all back in.

Mary

o

I'm not sure I would put them out yet. Here in the Nashville area it is supposed to get down to 32 tonight. Our last safe "no frost" date is April 15. Frost will ruin Impatients. But if you take them in they would be OK. I'm too lazy to drag pots in and out. LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: garden tips

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 29, 09 at 21:00

It's probably best not to call April 15 a "safe no-frost date". It's just an easy date to remember that corresponds to the average last frost date for a lot of Tennessee. Some years will have frost days after that date.

Right now, weather.com says that 34 degrees will be the low for Nashville, but it could be wrong. Weather forecasters are always making mistakes or missing something. If I was in Nashville, I would probably bring in my tender things tonight just in case it gets lower than predicted. Especially after tonight, Nashville looks pretty safe.

There's a ten-day forecast on that site that can give you a good idea of the forecast for your particular area for the next few weeks. If temperatures in your area are predicted to be like mine (Knoxville), you can be reasonably sure there won't be another frost this year. BUT, it's always a good idea to keep an eye out for an unexpected late frost like a few years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here