Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilazria

Wasps

ilazria
13 years ago

Ok, I know they're great to have around as beneficial insects, but something has got to give. My cats ripped up all of the screens in all of my windows, damaging the cheap aluminum frames in the process. I've bought those expandable screens from Walmart, which help, but they just don't let the windows open enough. Also, they scare the heck out of me and the kids when we're outside. It seems like they're everywhere! Oh, and those fat bumble bees are just as bad! By summer they seem to be using my yard as a jousting field, or a mating spot. I think I have plenty of pollinators between the butterflies and ants. Is there any way to reduce the scary stinging population?

Comments (4)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Believe it or not take a spray bottle of water with a little dish washing liquid mixed in, spray the wasp and it will end up killing them or at least disabling them till they do die. How this works is that wasp or any other flying insect has a natural coating on their wings, well the dish washing liquid penetrates the coating and allows the water to get on their wings. When a wasp can't fly it eventually dies. Safe and not toxic to the kids!!

As far as decreasing your population find their nest treat their nest but never remove it, they will never go back to that nest again.

Big fat bumlebees?? Are you talking about wood bees?? They bury themselves in wood, you may need to treat the areas of wood look for holes about the size of a quarter you will have to treat each hole then you will need to putty them then you will need to treat the structure with some kind of sealant.

If it is an older wooden structure that is rarely used in your yard, tell your husband just to remove it off of the property. That is probably where your problem is coming from!!

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

OHHHHHH I ALMOST FORGOT!!!!!

ONLY treat for your wasp, bees or anything of that nature when it is cool outside, NEVER NEVER NEVER when it is hot. Early morning or right at dusk!!

When treating wasp nest it is best to use some type of spray that reaches at least 50 feet away and get the kids inside!!

• transplanted_in_tn
    13 years ago

We get those brown wasps that make little mud huts everywhere, and yes, they seem to be out in force this year so far! :) They don't seem aggressive, and I've gotten used to them buzzing around me while I work outside. They seem to love it under the decks. They've never stung me, and I'm around them often, and usually right where they want to go, too.

As for the cats, remove them far away from your residence and drop them off. That's the best solution to a cat problem I've been able to come up with (that's humane). :) j/k - I love teasing the cat people. :)

If the 'fat bumblebees' are what I'm think of, yes, those are a nuisance! We call them bumbleflies. Big, fat, black suckers, and they'll divebomb you and defend an area. A flyswatter comes in handy, and maybe a camcorder to record all your fancy moves as you jump around trying to kill it without getting attacked. :) But there again, never been stung by one, but I'm more afraid of those than the brown wasps.

Sweat bees? Now there's my arch nemesis! They always get stuck under arms, behind knees, or under legs when you sit down in shorts. Not aggressive, but when you inadvertently squish em in a bent joint they sting! Little bastards - I hate 'em!

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

The "wasp" that build mud nest those are dirt daubers but yes they are in the wasp family and they do not sting usually.

Only the female wood bee stings, but it is usually the male that you will see out and about guarding the nest.