Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

Papaver sominferum

bigorangevol
16 years ago

Ok, the lady in Sweden just sent me some of these. I guess I need to get them in the ground right now huh? Does anyone around here grow Drama Queen Poppies?

Comments (11)

• maternut
    16 years ago

Boy ain't we getting smart. Make me go to Google to find out what Papaver sominferum is and then your post has POPPIES what a bummer. I guess my answer is no I don't grow them. Please don't stir the mud up in my head.

• tngreenthumb
    16 years ago

I haven't grown that variety, so please put me on the list for seeds this Fall. *grin*

I'd say go ahead and sow half now and then sow the other half in a couple of weeks. They really should be planted in the Fall, or late summer when they fall off the plant naturally. I think I have a few starting to come up now from what I had last year. But I planted them last year in early Spring.

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

Jeff, I have always put poppy seed out in late winter or early spring when I could not stay in the house any longer. Never made a big fuss just scratched the soil a bit and raked them in. I could not tell you what varieties I have since I plant whatever poppies I can get my hands on. Rhonda

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Jeff, that looks like a really beautiful variety. I hope they make tons of seed for you -- and for the rest of us! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Drama Queen poppy seed on ebay

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

In case anyone wants to look up the species, Jeff has a typo in his subject line. It's Papaver somniferum, not sominferum. AKA opium poppy. Gasp! ;-)

• tngreenthumb
    16 years ago

Heh...for a change my dyslexia worked in my favor. I read it just fine. :-)

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

I'm sorry Jeff, but those poppies won't grow on the plateau...please ship promptly to the valley :)

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey I just did a "copy/paste" off of a website! Dang, it sounds like a disease anyway. Ya'll know me, as far as I'm concerned they are pretty red and purple flowers that grow 2' tall and like sun. I don't get caught up in all that Latin botanical stuff; it just confuses my little mind.

I'm with Billy Shakespeare..."What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

If they grow and if I get seeds from 'em then you guys know that you'll be seeing them at the fall MTPS!

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Ahhhh, but there's so much in a name! "somniferum" -- get it? "Somni" -- related to sleep. "Somniferum" -- sleep-bringing. These are opium poppies -- opium makes you sleepy. Taa daa. :-)

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Then they should call them Papa Valiumus, Papa Ambieno or Popa Qualudeatis. I took Latin college and detested it so I guess that's where my aversion stems from. I got it; I just didn't like it. I wasn't going to be a doctor so it seemed as useless to me as Greek, Hebrew and **** on a boar-hog. My Dad 4.0'd all that stuff in college and I was just 18 and rebelling. The only reason I took it was at his behest. I walked out of class one day and told my Prof to conjugate this... (A widely-used universal hand signal) Needless to say, I stayed at the bottom of the Curve in that class. IÂd have been happier had I taken Italian or German instead. Doc I'm sure that you blew through it with flying colors though. ItÂs a med/bio or theology-geek thing right?

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

LOL!

I never actually took Latin. ;-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting