Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
george27828

Sources of Tomato Plants near Knox/Sevier Counties?

george27828
15 years ago

I delayed my seed purchases a little too long this year. As a back up, I'm looking for sources of heirloom tomato plants within a reasonable drive of Sevierville. I'm tired of the abuse/neglect I've witnessed at the big box stores. I'm also looking primarily for heirloom tomato plants. Anyone know of a good source in this area?

Comments (8)

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

Stanley's Greenhouses in south Knoxville have always had healthy locally grown plants that are a lot less expensive than the single plants in the box stores.

• george27828
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann,
    Thanks. Do they tend to have a good selection as far as varieties? Looking for more than the usual Bonnie selections at the Big Box stores.

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

George,
    What they have are the ones that are favorites in these parts.
    From late last year I remember several germans, yellow pear, another yellow, ...Call them and find out when they start arriving.

They've also had a good assortment of peppers.

Out in left field, I wonder if the Farmers Market over in Asheville would have the more interesting plants?

• george27828
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann,
    Found the following while doing some internet searching: This sping Popes Garden Center is proud to carry "Culivary Couture USDA Organic Vegetables and Herbs". Grown in a state of the art, 4 acre green greenhouse, using solar, wind and geothermal power, these are the best quality organic material grown! Due to arrive in April, look for: tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and much more!

I'm planning to drive over to Maryville in April to see what they have. Your suggestion regarding the Farmer's market in Asheville is also a good idea. Stanley's selection of veggies can be found at www.stanleysgreenhouses.com

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

George,
    Have you ever heard of Culivary Coutoure?? Any idea what part of the country they are grown in?
    (Why would anybody buy cucumbers pre started?)
    Ann

• george27828
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann,
    Never heard of them. I'll be contacting Pope's this weekend to see if I can get more information. I'm also looking for a few more heirloom tomato seeds. We're growing about 150 tomato plants to sell on Earth Day in Gatlinburg. The proceeds will benefit the Green Schools initiative at Gatlinburg's Pi Beta Phi Elementary. I'll post on a couple of forums regarding this event as we get closer to Earth Day.
    George

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

George,
    Call Knoxville Seed and Greenhouse supply and ask what they have. They may not have the real exotically named, but they might have some winners.
    Also call the seed selling side of Mayo's. (Mayo also has heritage beans for this area.)
    Ann

• george27828
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann,

I went to both on my first day of searching in Knoxville. I went to Pope's on Sunday. No seeds of interest but they will get some heirloom plants in April. Cherokee Purple was one variety they expected.

George

Sponsored