Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_in_tn

Soil & compost for raised bed near Knoxville

tom_in_tn
13 years ago

Any recommendations for where to buy good quality soil and compost by the scoop at reasonable prices? North Knoxville or Clinton area prefered. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

I live in North Knoxville, but I can't think of anywhere real close. My farm is over in East Knoxville and there are quite a few places over that way. All the local ones that I can think of in the North Knoxville area seem to have either closed down or are ridiculous on prices.

The bigger suppliers in the Knoxville region are:

Hines Fine Soils
    3401 Riverside Drive
    Knoxville, TN 37914

Hines Fine Soils
    1219 Old Maryville Pike
    Knoxville, TN 37920

Natural Resources Recovery
    8707 Joe Daniels Rd.
    Knoxville, Tennessee 37931

Natural Resources Recovery
    3106 Water Plant Rd.
    Knoxville, Tennessee 37914

Shamrock Organic Products
    2501 Ailor Ave
    Knoxville, TN 37919

One thing you could do is call Hines and ask them if they could recommend some local dealers. Many small mom-and-pop places sell Hines Soils. I thought they used to list of of them on their website, but don't see anything like that now.

• karenrf
    13 years ago

Hi.We usually get our mulch out at Thress Nursery but last year they had gone up on their prices. They do have soil too.
    Most any nursery carries dirt and mulch.
    There's places in Halls but I don't know their prices.
    Someone on Craiglist was selling too.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Karen, you can get more mulch for a better price (and a better quality mulch than at Thress) from that place, just a minute and a half down the road, on West Emory (towards Karns from Clinton Hwy). I don't know about their topsoil. I'll tell you a story about that later (offline), if you remind me.

• ironwork1_hughes_net
    12 years ago

BEWARE!!! I called Hines FINE soils and asked what product they had for a large raised vegetable bed. I also asked if there were any rock in the soil. I was told that all of their soils were Top soil scraped from the top of fields and "finger " screened so only very small rock were in it. The soil had to be delivbered by another trucking Co. as I live outside the Hines delivery area. I purchased a full 14 cu. yds. of tghis soil that they said had partially digested cotton fiber in it. After recieving the soil andhaving it stock piled and covering it because of pending rain, I noticed the soil consisted of Small light orange Shale like clay chunks, medium orange clay, cotton fiber and numerous Flat round rocks aproximately 2 1/2" to 4" in diameter. This soil is totally void of nutrients and is obviously mined from subsoil. I have asked for compensation , but have not recieved any.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Chris,
    I think you may have gotten scammed by the other trucking company. I've used Hines soil numerous times over many years and have never seen rocks that big. Also, where did you get your soil fertility tests done? Lots of things about your story don't add up. Maybe you got scammed or received some misinformation.

• bj_delo
    12 years ago

If you're still looking for soil and don't mind to drive a little ways, try Mulch & More on Douglas Dam Rd. in Sevierville. I have dealt with them several times and have nothing but good things to say about them. They charge $20 per scoop for any of their soils. They have compost, compost/topsoil, or topsoil. I have the compost/topsoil in my raised beds and it is great.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths