Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hermitonthehill

Help - TN 'engineering' - to suspend a swing from a limb

hermitonthehill
17 years ago

I posted about this on another forum, but I figured I'd also ask at my "home base" here in the TNG forum.

I've got a wooden swing that was used on an A-frame. The A-frame is long defunct. The swing suspends by chains - like a swingset's chains.

I have a nearly "perfect" Oak tree limb that is large enough to support the weight of the swing and people sitting in it. I want to suspend the swing from that limb. (and landscape "the view" from that position/perspective and the immediate area)

What I want to AVOID is a) damaging the limb b) having to re-suspend it every year.

While my kids have outgrown the tire-swings from two different Oaks on the property, I want to avoid what I see happen with those - the rope gets tight around the limb, the tree continues to grow, the rope gets embedded in the limb and it scars the limb even if you do remove it. Another reason I don't want to have to re-do suspending the swing every year (like cutting or undoing the rope and tying it up anew to loosen it or whatever) because it isn't going to be much longer that I'm going to be able to get up that high. (I already have an issue with ladders and unsteady heights in general) So, I'd like to avoid that scenario. I just can't seem to think of an acceptable alternative.

Would a traditional/proper "noose" (starting from the end of the branching out and working back to the suspension-sites on the primary limb) provide for less rubbing/abrasion when the swing was swinging? Would a "noose", instead of just being tied around the limb with any given knot, *possibly* loosen with the limb's growth?

I know it probably sounds crazy, but I am just all spun up about this - as much as I feel "that is the spot, that is the limb" and want to hang the wooden swing there/from it, I'm nearly as zealous about wanting to avoid injuring the tree and having to potentially contend with "Calibration" maintenance... I wanted this swing up last year, but I spent all year banging my head on how to go about it to alleviate my concerns.

I don't think there's enough chain on the swing to reach that limb with the swing's seat at an appropriate level/height off the ground, so I'm going to need to extend each side either with more chain or "rope"... I haven't purchased either yet since I'm still trying to figure out a "good way" to do this.

Has anyone else gone about suspending a swing from a tree limb that you find works well for you and your tree?

Comments (6)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    17 years ago

Please don't use a rope around the limb! There is no way to do that without seriously and permanently damaging the limb. The best way to do what you want to do is by using eye bolts with large washers to suspend the swing.

You will want to make sure the eye bolts have threads longer than the limb is thick because you will need to use a large flat washer, a lock washer, and a nut on both the bottom and top to properly secure the eye bolt to reduce motion that will further damage the tree. Drill a hole just large enough to fit the eye bolt through the limb. Carve the bark and cambium away just under where the washers will touch the tree limb so that the washers are embedded down in the bark and cambium layers. The washers should rest solidly against the sapwood. If carefully trimmed, the cambium and bark will quickly grow around the washers and nuts and seal off the wounds lessening the chance of decay. Tighten the nuts down firmly but not enough to significantly compress the wood.

If properly installed chances are good that little damage will result. I hope I have been clear with my instructions, but if not, or if you have questions, let me know.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    17 years ago

Just in case you thought about it, DON'T use any type of sealer. The tree will take care of sealing itself much better than you could. If you really really really wanted to, you could use a liquid copper fungicide (not a powder mix) on the area after a few months when the wound is completly dry to further reduce the chance of decay. Applying this about once a year starting at least a few months after the cuts have been made (when it is completely dried out) and continuing for two or three years (until completely healed over) would be the ultimate in nursing your tree back to perfect health.

• hermitonthehill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Believe it or not, this/that (drilling and using eyebolts - that's how the A-frame originally had it suspended, though those were much shorter) was initially what came to mind. But I became concerned about drilling directly through the limb's layers - through the heart if you will - and that causing the limb to outright die on me. Do you think drilling two holes through the limb would damage it too much initially to survive? My next question about this scenario is on the matter of causing the limb to crack or split or otherwise damage it in a way that would prevent it from surviving or then being too weak to withstand the weight.

The swing isn't likely to be used on a daily basis and I can make it off-limits for some length of time if need be for healing. Would that be of any consequence in aiding the healing or a moot point?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    17 years ago

There are 2 ways the limb might be damaged by something like this. The first is mechanical. If the limb was small, the weight of the swing could break the limb, but you said the limb was large enough to support the swing. Drilling the holes will make the limb weaker, but if it's a large limb, the effect of the holes will be negligible and will not significantly effect the limb's strength or cause the limb to break.

The other way the limb might be damaged is by decay setting up in the area around the hole. Trees, in most cases, are able to compartmentalize damaged areas and block decay from spreading. Also, when the damaged area is "healed over", the covering will tend to block further decay. By installing the washers as described in my previous post, the tree will be able to start the "healing" process almost immediately. With clean neat cuts, the area should cover over in 1 to 3 years depending on the type of tree. When the tree grows around the washers and nuts, this will further increase the mechanical strength around the eye bolt and decrease the likelihood of problems. Ideally, not allowing the eye bolts to move any until the healing starts to cement them in place would be a good idea, but I don't know if the small possible benefits would outweigh the lack of being able to use the swing for a year. If you did decide to wait that long, install the eye bolts, but don't install the swing until the following year. Wind could cause the swing to move just as a person swinging.

Two other little details I thought of this morning are...Check to make sure the nuts are tight after a few months and again after about the first year. And, if you do decide to use the liquid copper fungicide (to eliminate possible decay), only apply a small amount. A little won't hurt the tree, but if you caked it on in multiple coats, it might be mildly toxic to the tree. Let me know if I left out any more details or if you have further questions.

• hermitonthehill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

As soon as I get a ladder over here (it might not go high enough) or a relative with the tractor with the front-end loader to boost me up there (or someone less inclined to vertigo), I will probably aim to measure the limb in key spots first, and mark it off with ribbon or something. I don't recall exactly what type of Oak it is now - there's several different types on the property, but knowing the type would I think help to discern the strength from whatever data is out there. I'm sure someone has tested this stuff!

I can "easily" wait a year to actually suspend the swing after the limb has been drilled, bolts inserted, boo-boos treated, and testing/tightening as needed. I had the swing for at least a year before I got the idea to look for "just the right spot" WITH "just the right limb" - took me a year or more to find that (because I got hung up on "a perfect limb" that is on a great tree, but a completely lousy location to have a swing unless totally intended for aesthetics alone) and then more wandering around the spot to feel certain I had some idea of how I'd "work" the area/landscape it. There's underbrush and saplings to remove and I need to decide ahead of time if I should go ahead with a different type of fence to replace the field fence that is at the "back" of the area. (Eventually I want to replace the field fence on two sides with something sturdier and possibly more visually appealing, but that's like close to a thousand feet of fencing sooo....) It also gives me plenty of time to pressure-wash the swing, get it well dried, get it to soak up some Thompson's water-seal, possibly replace at least two known broken slats or just repair them with wood glue - who knows, maybe even paint it or "decorate" it - whatever. In summary, it won't kill me to wait a year or more longer.

Now I just wish I had stepped up and asked about this earlier in the year - when I could have done the drilling before the "sap had started to flow".

I wonder if TSC will have bolts long enough for this or if I'm going to have to go searching around one of these old-old tractor/hardware stores in the middle of nowhere. :)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    17 years ago

I would think that even Lowes or Home Depot would have the eye bolts you need, but I would never pass up the opportunity to explore an "old-old" hardware store. I get excited just thinking about it.

"Tool Time" Brandon