Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmerbell

How to divide pineapple lily

farmerbell
18 years ago

My pineapple lilies were spectacular last year and this spring I have several nice burgandy shoots coming up. Does anyone know how to divide them?

Comments (16)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    18 years ago

Dig them up, making sure to get as much of the roots as possible, and divide by hand or with a sharp knife. You can lightly coat any open wounds with fungicide if available. Eucomis is a little more sensitive to root distrubance than some bulbous plants, but if you are reasonable gentle with them, they should do fine.

• farmerbell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks! When is the best time to divide? Is it better to dig them when they are dormant or can I do it now?

• Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

Ann you can bring some of those divisions to the Swap and really rack up!

• farmerbell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got brave and tried to get 3 pups off the clumps without having to dig up the whole clump because the original ones are go gorgeous with the burgundy color right now. I was afraid that I might kill them. All three of the pups had a part of the bulb cut away, but I dusted with a fungicide and rooting hormone and planted them. I have been babying them for a couple of weeks and so far them seem to be surviving--not thriving yet.

Brandon, have you had experience with propagating from the seeds they produce in the "pineapple"? I saved some seed last summer, planted a few, but they did nothing. Do you know what conditions are requred for germination? I haven't tried planting seeds this year.

I will not be able to get to the swap this year. I learned about the swaps last fall, but have not attended one yet. It sounds fantastic! Maybe some day....

Ann

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    18 years ago

Probably the reason the seeds didn't grow was that they dried out. The seeds should be planted as soon as they're ripe. Don't wait until spring. They will germintate best in a soilless mix at about 60 degrees F. I would plant them in a larger pot or somewhere where they won't get crowded because they will grow rapidly as seedlings. They will need to be protected from very low temps for about 2 years.

• fish_legs419
    18 years ago

Farmerbell - Could you post a picture of your pineapple lily? My grandfather & mother have always raised pineapple lilies and I've never seen one with burgundy color. I've seen a pink one in a catalog this year and I'm waiting for a sale! :)

• farmerbell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

fish legs419--see the link below for a photo I took about 2 weeks ago. I ordered my 'Sparkling Burgundy' pineapple lily from Plant delights about 3 years ago. When they first come up in the spring the purple color is really dark. When they put up their bloom spikes, the leaf color has a little more green in it. This is a truly beautiful, carefree plant to have in my zone. I want more of them and am trying to propogate some.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1277982}}

• Josh
    18 years ago

Hi. This is my first year with the Eucomis 'Sparkling Burgundy' and I too love it. I'm growing in container for cutflower use and got to enjoy bloom on the plant for two weeks then two weeks inside in vase. Still looks great! Next year I may just bring container inside when it blooms..don't know why I didn't think of that.

Anyway, just wanted to advise that on 2 different sites when I was researching Eucomis I read that 3-inch leaf cuttings could be used for propagation. I'm pretty sure one site was on Hortiplex. I've got 3 little 3-inch chunks sitting in moist soil in shade...haven't checked for roots yet but leaf section still looks plump and sassy. Thought you might want to give it a try.

josh

• farmerbell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I saw a gardening show recently where Tony Avents (from Plant Delights Nursery from which I ordered my pineapple lily)told about taking the leaf cuttings. He said they took 2" cuttings and put them in soiless mixture and keep moist. They are supposed to start new little plants within 6 weeks. I took a long leaf last week and cut 19 pieces that I hope are beginning to root. I don't know if there is a certain season that is better than others. Tony Avents said that several years ago they sent the plant to every company that did tissue culture and they all failed at propogating 'Sparkling Burgundy'. He later read an article in a British gardening magazine that explained how to propogate them and that is how he got enough stock to begin selling them.

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

I had one of these last year and gave part of it to my mother. Well as usually happens, my mother's plant thrived and mine didn't ! I love the plant, however, the flower head is so unusual. Just Beatiful, love the picture.

Cheryl

• haydens
    18 years ago

I am looking for some fresh seeds or bulbs for a
    a Pineapple Lily.I like the Sparkling Burgundy, but
    would take any color. Will discuss exchange, etc. when
    contacted.I have some Wild Bergamot seeds if anyone
    is interested.Interesting story about these seeds.

• wardawg3916
    15 years ago

if someone has some pineapple lily and like to share some please let me know i live in south ms just north of new orleans loss all of my plants and trying to replace some and also get some new one

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

Hi. I'm a member of the Rocky Mountain Gardening Group, but found these postings on your group for Pineapple Lily. I have one that has been blooming and starting to form what look like seed pods. I'm wondering if it will actually make seeds because I've had it indoors since first frost (I live in Westminster, Colorado).

Should I try to pollinate the flowers by using a brush? I've never done that before for any plant, so I'm not quite sure how to do it. I'm guessing just brush the stamens of one flower and touch the stamens on another flower?

If you'd like to see my plant, go to my thread on RMG: Eucomis Oakhurst.

Thanks for any advice!
    Marj

• bjbergmeyer_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

My bulb is about the size of a basketball with 3 "eyes" that the leaves will come out of. Can I take a sharp knife, or wood saw & cut off the one eye the furthest away? Then what should I do. The plant is very beautiful with its green flowers.

• HU-490741732
    2 years ago

I have had pineapple lilies

for a few years

I have not separated them

about 60% are blooming

is it ok to separate them now

june 22

Or should I just leave them to dry and separate in the spring

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews