Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrtleoak

If you want a Windmill palm...

myrtleoak
16 years ago

Kmart has them for a very reasonable price. I always warn folks to buy their stuff quickly, as they are notorious for killing half of their stock by June.

Comments (7)

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

I stopped at the one on Kingston pike here in Knoxville and picked up a Washingtonia palm for $19.99 and one of the white oleanders for $4.99. I've been wanting the palm for a while and have been wanting to try out it's hardiness, though I know it is not as hardy as the Trachy's. We have three and they have just grown like mad since we planted them!

Rebecca

• myrtleoak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got a white oleander also. Is it true that these may be hardier than the red? Washingtonia, eh? I have heard that these are advanced level...winter moisture can be a problem. I spotted a pindo there the other day and may give it a shot. Canna, if you don't have one, I would give the European fan a try. Either Lowes or Home Depot had them last year. I want one.

• tennesseestorm
    15 years ago

I stopped at our local K-mart this evening and they do not have the Windmill palms. They only had those very non-hardy palms. I will try the one in the next city down tomorrow (about 20 miles away). Its a Super K-Mart, so hopefully they have some. I have one, but want another for the lower lawn. Thanks for the info!

• tennesseestorm
    15 years ago

Huh, well I went to the other one (Super K-mart) and they did not have them either. Must only be a "middle TN" thing or something? :'''(

• tennesseestorm
    15 years ago

Warning - I had a Washingtonia and the first time it dropped below 20°, this thing wilted like weed killer had been placed on it. A shame too, because it thrived that summer. I must have had the least hardy one. I had bought it at Home Depot. There is a more hardy one out there, thats good to about 12°, but its risky in TN. Even it will surely need protection from what I am told.

RE: Posted by cannahavana z7a Knoxville (My Page) on Wed, Apr 2, 08 at 12:45

I stopped at the one on Kingston pike here in Knoxville and picked up a Washingtonia palm for $19.99 and one of the white oleanders for $4.99. I've been wanting the palm for a while and have been wanting to try out it's hardiness, though I know it is not as hardy as the Trachy's. We have three and they have just grown like mad since we planted them!
    Rebecca

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

"Huh, well I went to the other one (Super K-mart) and they did not have them either. Must only be a "middle TN" thing or something? :'''( "

Tennesseestorm, I got mine in Knoxville and this was originally posted at the beginning of April. The palms are probably long gone by now. Sorry!

I am aware that the Washingtonia is less hardy. For the $19.99 that I paid, it will not break the bank if my winter protection doesn't work. I have to try and kill it at least three times to be deemed a failure! :)

Rebecca

• christnpalm
    15 years ago

They have a few left at the K-mart on kingston pike. They had a large one for a little over $100 and some smaller ones for like $15 . Look to the right of the garden shop gate.
    Happy Sring
    Chris