Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdetrucker

Looking for a nursery in Knoxville, TN

jdetrucker
17 years ago

I am new to Tennessee, but someone was bragging about a nursery they said had been around "forever" in Knoxville. I don't have the spelling of this, but she said it was Baberies on Old Miller Pike. I can't find an Old Miller Pike or anything near that spelling listed. She described it as a large old nursery with great prices.

Anybody have any clue where this would be or have a phone number for it?

Comments (9)

• myrtleoak
    17 years ago

Its probably Millertown not Miller, though I am not familiar with that side of town. Probably the two most well known that I know of would be Pope's and Stanley's, though I like Ellenburg's in west Knoxville.

• sewlutions
    17 years ago

Probably was Millertown Pike. Think there used to be a nurdery by name of Bableys. I like Stanley's on Davenport Rd, off Chapman Hwy.

• anntn6b
    17 years ago

We drive Millertown often and I haven't seen anything that looks like a nursery.
    I do like Stanley's a lot more than Pope's (Pope's was better, IMO, when they were real growers and not just resellers of plants grown in California.)

• xzxzimxzx
    17 years ago

The nursery is called "Babelays" and it is almost on the corner of Washington Pike and Babelay Road - not far from Knoxville Center Mall. I just moved to Babelay Road - and actually thought it was not operating anymore as a large part of it is not in use, but yes, they do still sell plants out of one or two of the greenhouses. If you know where Target is on Washington Pike, keep driving down past Target and the new Recreational Park they are building, through the traffic lights and just past the Town and Country (Shell) gas station is a road to your right, Babelay Road, turn down there and it is a few hundred yards on your left.

• codered
    17 years ago

There is also a nursery off western ave. You turn onto ballcamp pk the one near shaad rd. they are a mile or two on the right.

• behaviorkelton
    17 years ago

Stanley's is really a nice place. Keith can tell you just about anything you'd like to know about what they sell. I don't believe I have ever purchased a root-bound plant from them.

I just spent $160 there yesterday.

Beaver Creek nursery is a favorite as well, but I was very please to discover Stanley's...it's much closer to town.

I've been in Knoxville for exactly a year this month.

• jdetrucker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you! I'm on the lookout for Knoxville-area nurseries that sell ornamental plants that offer some variety or the unusual...And if prices are good, that's icing on the cake! I haven't lived here long enough to do more than try a few.

• behaviorkelton
    16 years ago

I just went to Babelay Nursery. I thought it was a bit "thin" in it's offerings, but I don't know much about ornamentals. It was a major supplier of plants decades ago, but now it's a very small operation.

Looking at the prices, I'd say that they seemed rather inexpensive.

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

jdetrucker, you should try a needle palm or a trachyocarpus (windmill palm). I saw several trachys at Pope's 2 off of Northshore in west Knox. Mine have come through winters here with flying colors!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm