Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrtleoak

Finally did some math...

myrtleoak
15 years ago

OK, found the weather records for Knoxville finally and did the math. During the past 15 years, Knoxville's average minimum temp is 9 degrees. For the past 20 years, it is 10 degrees. Haven't had time to go past this point yet. This is the airport reading. My guess is that the 30 year for the new, extremely tardy zone map will but Knoxville at a 7a/7b transition zone. During the past 15-20 years, urban Knoxville has been 7b/8a. Subtract ~4 degrees for outlying rural areas. I have been reading past posts and it has come to my attention that many gardeners STILL DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE ZONE SYSTEM. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LENGTH OF GROWING SEASON, LATE FROSTS, ETC. There are areas of the Pacific NW the have shorter growing seasons than we do and are zone 8. IT IS NOT THE LOWEST READING OF THE 15 YEAR PERIOD. Subzero temps are occasionally recorded as far south as Atlanta and Birmingham. IT IS THE AVERAGE OF THE COLDEST READING OF EACH OF THE 15 YEARS (OR 30 YEARS). You do not need to wait for the USDA to tell you something that can already be demonstrated with available information. Go to Weather Underground and view the readings for yourself and do the math like I did. You're only cheating yourself by limiting what you can plant. Come by my house and I'll give you a tour of my subtropical plant collection...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!