Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomerrol

lasagna gardening in middle tn

tomerrol
13 years ago

Hi, I have started lasagna gardening, and wondered how many others are doing this type of gardening in middle tn area. I would like to exchange ideas and the outcome of lasagna gardening with others.

Tomerrol

Comments (6)

• msbatt
    13 years ago

I *think* that's what I tried a few years back---did you start out by covering the ground with layers of wet newspaper? Turns out that will NOT kill Bermuda grass...(*grin*)

• cottagegirl_tn
    13 years ago

I have had lots of success with this in difficult areas to garden in otherwise. My soil is pretty good but this has been a great medium to use in my rocky areas. My flowers love it and the few weeds I have in those areas pull up easily. Are you wanting to talk veggies or flowers? Unfortunately I have only flower stories. My sister also has very difficult soil and this has enabled her to grow all kinds of things she would not have been able to otherwise.

• stacylea23
    13 years ago

I read an article on this jusst today. Sounds like a great plan for gardening! I can't wait to give it a try!

• tomerrol
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am about vegetable growing and also flowers. So far this yr has been sucessful with veggies and flowers with the lasagna way of gardening. I also have 5 square foot beds that also are doing great. either way of gardening this type is alot easier then the old conventional way of row gardening. I will post some pictures later on

• tly59
    12 years ago

I do quite a bit of Lasagna gardening in my vegetable garden, especially when starting spaces, and by adding new layers in the fall with leaves, newspaper, etc. It is kind of like composting-in-place, and works well for me. My elderly neighbors look at me funny, and wonder when I am going to till... :)

• tomerrol
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well, I now have 2 neighbors that are now starting to do the lasagna gardening, after they have come and seen mine with all the veggies, and flowers doing so well! One neighbor has went yesterday and bough a grass catcher for his riding mower. Being in the country, I do have access to horse and cow manure! put a few layers of that in with the chopped leaves, grass clippings, old straw and kitchen scrapes and you have a winning combination. I have yet to use any peat moss, although I would say it would be a good addition.Right now I have 4 new beds started, each 15 ft long and 3 ft wide. This way I am combining "wide Row" gardening with lasagna gardening! I have the beds built to about 18 inches high, and will build to about 24 inches high by end of this fall. Then they should be ready by this next spring! I plan on using 1/2 inch pvc to make braces for 6 mil plastic for a tunnel that will be similar to a small green house. I believe this way I can plant early spring! I do sprinkle a little lime about every 3 layers to maybe help the ph of the whole mess. anyone with any addition to what I am doing I would like the advise
    thanks

Sponsored