Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irisaddict

Koi & Iris

irisaddict
16 years ago

Am I allowed to post that I have iris and koi for sale? If not, does anyone have suggestions on where to post it?

Comments (9)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

You are not supposed to post anything for sale on Gardenweb, only trades are allowed. Do you have a nursery license/certificate from the state? If not, you are not allowed to sell plants in the state. Your plants also have to be inspected before they can be sold. I'm not familiar about regulations (if any) about selling the Koi.

• farmerbell
    15 years ago

Brandon, do you know where to find the information about selling plants? I would like to read up on the subject. I know there are many vendors selling plants at the Nashville Flea Market and wonder if they have a nursery/grower's license. I also see people selling plants at yard and garage sales. Is the nursery license still necessary in this situation?

Thanks, Ann

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

We are not suppose to ship plants through the mail either without a nursery license, but people do it all the time when trading plants by mail here on Garden Web. I know personally of several that sell on Ebay that do not have a license.

If it's a one time thing, I wouldn't worry about a nursery license. Otherwise, it is $200 for a license for a year. There is also a Hobbyist License if your growing area is less than 600 square feet for $100.

Here is a link that might be useful: TN Dept. of Agriculture

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

I think the TDOA has been kind of looking the other way to some degree when it comes to one-time plant sales. That is starting to change. There has been some talk lately about how they should inspect plants in those situations, and I think enforcement may start picking up over the next year or two. We already had a license and had to get a plant inspection (for the first time) for the UT Arboretum Plant Sale.

Right now, I believe that if someone reported you or something occurred to bring their attention to you, they could at least destroy all your stock. Anyone thinking about selling plants or growing plants to sell should at least research and be aware of the laws relating to this subject.

• farmerbell
    15 years ago

Thanks Rebecca and Brandon for the information. I learned something today!

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Ann I won't turn you in.

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

IA, it's like they say in the military...it's easier to get forgivness than permission. I'm sure that anyone interested in buying your Koi or Iris will be in touch! :-)

Evidently we aren't supposed to post about plant swaps on the Discussion pages either. I guess that Spike is gone so they don't police that stuff like they use to. They haven't sent me to Disneyland in over six years! I think the last time was when I let Plantbot get me jacked-up.

• farmerbell
    15 years ago

Thanks Jeff!

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

Irisaddict --

I see many people posting plants for sale on Craigslist. If you have a local edition of Craigs, that would be one place to start!

And yes, now that fire ants are here I do expect that inspections will start picking up, especially for people who ship plants out of the area!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES