Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer Poinsettia

Posted by geneo74 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 9:38

Last year wifey had some seeds she had gotten from a friend and planted a few directly in the flower garden. We loved them, even brought some into the house and they lasted for a long time. We saved seeds from our garden ones as they dried up last fall. Planted a few seeds in my winter seeding, not many because they didn't appear too adaptable to winter growing to me. Seeded the rest of them in my usual early spring seeding trays for later plantings. To this date none have come up anywhere. If someone on this board have been seeding summer poinsettia's maybe you could give me a few pointers on what I'm doing wrong. Not an expert, but as an old farm boy usually get my seeding done without problems.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer Poinsettia

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 9:58

First thing to do is to determine what plant you really have. Summer poinsettia is commonly used to describe Euphorbia cyathophora, Euphorbia heterophylla, Amaranthus tricolor, a cultivar of Hibiscus moscheutos, and who knows what else.

Also, are your "spring seedling trays" inside or ourside? How long ago did you plant the seeds?

o

Hmmmm, I've grown the Amaranthus tricolor Perfecta, and it has easily self-sown wherever it was planted. I started the originals in seed trays a few years ago, and I've had reliable returns for the past three years, albeit 'here and there'. Maybe you have something other than the Amaranthus....

o

Based upon what I've seen on the Internet I do believe its an Amaranthus. Your question as to where my seed tray is may be the problem.Its inside beside a southern window. Has been a pretty cool spring. Was planted two weeks ago. As soon as I transplant a few other seeds thinking about kicking it outside since its warmed up the last few days. Thanks for your interest.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 10:12

At least according to some sources, the seeds are light dependent (can't remember the word for that), so should be surface sown or only very lightly covered and placed in a good source of light. Soil temperature should be around 70 degrees F or better for best results. Also, a slight drop in night-time temperatures is supposed to help.

o

If it's one of the amaranths, they may just not be up quite yet. Mine has always been late to appear in the spring. Don't give up yet!

o

Thank you folk, saw a couple of them sneaking up today.

o

A summer poinsettia recap. I kicked my seed tray out into the bright sun. See a few more plants sneaking up. Now, remember I said I had seeded a few in my winter plantings. Since nothing ever came up (not to my surprise) I had thrown the container over beside my spa. Happened to walk by the container today and it was green, all about inch high, Yahoo.

o

Does anyone have any Summer Poinsettia seedlings for postage?....Thanks....Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here