Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arjo_reich

Middle Tennessee Frost Warning...

arjo_reich
15 years ago

Tonight the temps will drop down to about 38(F) in the Greater Nashville Area with a "feels like" around 33(F) when you calculate in the wind chills. Patchy frost is expected, especially in low-lying areas.

:sigh:

All my veggie garden direct sown seeds are just starting to sprout...

Comments (7)

• utdeedee
    15 years ago

I'm in the Knoxville area and just finished planting the rest of my tomatoes Sat. and my beans are about 2" tall. Wonder if it will hurt anything, even if there is no frost?

• arjo_reich
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know, I direct sown some big-boys and grape tomatoes last monday as well as a couple varieties of bell peppers into my raised beds thinking that I was safe to plant by 04/21 but apparently not. There's a good chance those seeds wont ever germinate at this rate, lol.

As for the rest of my seeds I direct sown last monday, most of them have sprouted up so now I'm in a hari kari to make sure they're protected for these next two nights. :sigh:

• utdeedee
    15 years ago

There's lots of us out here that 'thought' we were safe to plant now. I've got seedlings of brandy wine tomatoes in peat trays I started but I can bring those in. Guess I will get the newpapers out and cover my tomatoes that are in the ground. I bought pepper plants but was afraid to plant them. Glad I didn't. I can get those in the house tonight and tomorrow.
    I'll be glad when the warm weather stays and we don't have to worry about this cold stuff anymore.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

I've spent several hours yesterday and today putting out most of my house plants so they could get rained on. They're on their own so far as the frost goes! For tonight our Knoxville forecast is 40 as of a few minutes ago -- for tomorrow, 38. I think most things will get through it just fine, but I agree that covering the real heat lovers like tomatoes is probably a good "just in case" idea.

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

The weather channel is showing low 40's for Knox-vegas. All my orchids, Hoyas and the rest of the indoor gang are outside and have been since after the last cold snap. I think the ground is warm enough to endure an over night cold snap for the tenders. If it got into the 20's, I would do something about it. I have two maters in containers that might suffer a bit, but it is only two if I have to replace them.

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

It got down to 34°F here with a little frost on the truck this morning. I'm in NW Knoxville.

• utdeedee
    15 years ago

Well I had frost in the Solway community of west Knoxville this morning! I went out at 6:30 am and took the water hose and water down my tomatoes and beans before the sun hit them. We had a rain and wind storm about 11:00 last evening so covering them didn't help! Tonight frost warning again so I'm covering what I can and hoping for the best. Thank goodness I didn't plant my peppers and hot peppers! They're in the house :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting