Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_hobbs_gw

Blackberry winter???

Jan_Hobbs
17 years ago

Is this blackberry winter coming up this week? OK you old timers...

I think we missed the redbud and dogwood winters.

Comments (21)

• tngreenthumb
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We had them, they were just very mild.

I haven't noticed any blackberries blooming yet, but it's surely going to happen soon.

• Soeur
    17 years ago

The blackberries are coming into full bloom in my neck of the woods, so I guess it's time for that last cold spell to arrive. It'll feel almost good -- I wasn't quite ready for 90 degrees.

Man, it seemed more like "dogwood summer" it was so hot. The dogwoods blew by in record time.

Marty

• msbatt
    17 years ago

Blackberries are in flower here in north Alabama, and it's relatively COLD---gonna be 43 degrees tonight! Yep, I'd call this 'blackberry winter'!

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Hello all, my blackberries are blooming in west TN. A question for ya'll can you transplant blackberries????
    Thanks,
    Martha in Brighton TN

• Jan_Hobbs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes Martha they can be transplanted...keep a good root ball around them and move them. I have some that we transplanted this spring...2 of them came from Norm...a guy that comes to the swaps...they are doing wonderful...several others we moved and the canes haven't sprouted, but they are coming back from the roots. I don't expect any berries on any of them before next year.

Jan

• littleravenchild
    17 years ago

hello all, yes our blackberries are in bloom here in east tennessee.. is this our last little winter though?? i thought there was one more whipper will or something. for a good laugh check the farmers almanacs explanation of blackberry winter ,lol.

• Jan_Hobbs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There is still locust winter to go yet, but it isn't as cold as the balckbetty winter, I don't think...at least that's what my memory says.

We got down to 40 here on the river last night. Supposed to be 42 tonight then starts warming back up again.

Jan

• Soeur
    17 years ago

I think locust winter and blackberry winter are running at the same time this year. I just got back from Knoxville and the locusts are in full bloom all along I40 the whole way.

Marty

• katiedidcottage
    17 years ago

Jan, if they bloom, will they have berries? My little plant I bought is blooming. I love blackberries! It has been so cold here this week compared to the previous two weeks -- I got pretty spoiled by the warmer weather.

Katie

• Jan_Hobbs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Katie, if you have blooms, you will have berries. :)
    A berry for every bloom. Hope you get a good taste, anyway.

Jan

• Suzette Simmonds
    17 years ago

I'm new to the Memphis area and wonder if there's anyplace I can wander and find wild blackberries. Shelby Farms...out on the walking trails perhaps? I loved blackberry picking in Maryland, where they were everywhere, like weeds. My favorite patch was the Home Depot parking lot! No lie! :) Gotta find me some berries. Cultivated ones don't count. I need ones with ticks on 'em! :)

• hick
    17 years ago

Only 63 today here in College Grove; Blackberries in full bloom !

• rhiannonlefey
    17 years ago

ok guys...I've only been in these parts for a few years....exactly how many "winters" do we have and what are they?

• Jan_Hobbs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There is redbud winter, dogwood winter, black berry winter, locust winter,...have I forgotten any?

Jan

• intimidator_3
    17 years ago

Whats wrong with you people? This is obviously Daylily winter!

Ive got scapes coming up everywhere;>)

• Jan_Hobbs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jim says this is Mother's Day winter. :)

• rizzir
    17 years ago

OK, at this point I call it "summer winter"!!! I'm over it! Crank up the oven!

Regina

• organic_hanes
    14 years ago

Can someone please help me with a location (specifically an address I can put in my GPS, not just I-40 be more specific) where I can pick wild blackberries.

Thank you for your time

• april_h_o April Moore
    14 years ago

You won't be seeing any blackberries for a while yet - they usually come into season in July.

I don't have any specific locations for you, but you often see them growing in fence lines along country backroads.

• sandsquid
    14 years ago

The Doorman red Raspberries are loaded with berries ripening now and sending up new shoots-a-go-go, should have a great second harvest.

The Black Currant looks very promising after a complete die-back. I though it was a goner, but it pushed new growth.

My elderberries are going crazy!

I have one plant that grew from a cutting I jammed in the dirt last fall and forgot about.. It has 5 stalks over 9 feet tall and bountiful green clusters all over it. sure wish I could remember which variety it was.

My Wyldewood #1 and #2's are doing amazing also. after a complete die-back to the ground, all of them have new growth already over 6 feet tall and sending up suckers like crazy.

All my (in ground) Fig varieties decided this week was the week to set fruit. Monday nothing, Friday too many to count. Even on my little runt, 2nd year plants.

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

As per Dave's Garden:

" Dogwood Winter occurs about the time the dogwoods bloom, usually between mid-April and mid-May, varying from year to year. In some areas, Blackberry Winter and Dogwood Winter occur at the same time, while those living two or three states away may experience two distinct, separate cold snaps. Dogwood Winter, like most of the "winters" mentioned here, is a somewhat predictable weather event of the thermal currents making a short reversal of direction, bringing a few days or even a week of cold weather, sometimes with frost or snow and potential damage to garden plants. Weather forecasters know it is likely to occur, but its not predictable enough to say on what day. The oldtimers knew it usually happens when the dogwoods (Cornus florida or Cornus nuttallii) are in bloom. With the possibility of frost happening during Dogwood Winter, they also knew to wait until after the dogwood bloomed to plant tender vegetables and annuals. Native Americans watched for the dogwood blooms as the sign to begin planting corn and other crops. Oldtimers also knew that blackberries (Rubus fruticosus) need a cold snap to set buds on the blackberry canes, so as sure as night follows day, there will be a cold snap when the blackberries bloom, called Blackberry Winter. It comes with a somewhat less severe return of a continental polar air mass after the maritime tropical air masses have begun to dominate the weather.[1] In some areas, a late cold snap occurs with the blooming of the locust trees (Robinia pseudoacacia) usually before the dogwoods bloom or the redbuds (Cercis canadensis). So you have Locust Winter, and Redbud Winter happening after the first flush of warm spring days and before Dogwood Winter and Blackberry Winter. According to Buster (my neighbor and folklore old-timer), Locust Winter generally isnÂt as long or cold as Blackberry Winter. Here at my elevation, the redbuds bloom before the dogwoods, and the blackberries bloom after the dogwoods (in most years), so we get to have Redbud Winter, Dogwood Winter, and then a Blackberry winter. As a matter of fact, we are having a Redbud Winter right now as I write this (April 6, 2009). Yesterday I worked in the garden in a sleeveless shirt, and this evening it is snowing. I noticed on the way to the store this afternoon that the redbuds are starting to bloom! ThereÂs also Linsey-Woolsey Britches Winter, a term not used so much anymore, and then the last gasp of cold weather is Whippoorwill Winter. Linsey-Woolsey Britches Winter was once a popular term, back when winter clothing was homespun of linen/wool, and winters were harsher. It was the last time in spring that youÂd need "long johns" before trading them for short sleeves, and it usually came about the time of Blackberry Winter. However, I never read how one would know Linsey-Woolsey Britches Winter if you lived where there were no dogwoods nor blackberries, except youÂd be cold. The last named winter, Whippoorwill Winter, is actually a herald of warmer days coming to stay for the summer. The whippoorwill (Caprimulgus vociferus) migrates from wintering in Mexico to their summer range farther north in late May to early June. Whippoorwill Winter not as cold as the other "winters" but still a bit of cold snap lest we forget. If the oldtimers are correct, I can expect two more cold snaps (Dogwood Winter and Blackberry Winter) in my area before it is safe to set out my tomato plants. Take a look at the trees blooming in your area with the late cold snaps and see if you can identify the cold snap by name!"

From The Kentucky Climate Center:

"Dog Days of summer gets its name from the rising of the Sirius (the dog star). In climate lore, it identifies a mid summer (in Kentucky, late July-early August) hot spell sustained over several days. This lore recognizes that a maritime tropical air mass can become a temporary resident and cause a flattening of the temperature curve. It produces forecasts that include "continued hot, humid, hazy, with scattered isolated afternoon thunderstorms."

Indian Summer is a warm spell that occurs is late fall (in Kentucky, usually late November) after freezing temperatures have become common. It recognizes the temporary return of a maritime tropical air mass before winter arrives.

January Thaw is a warm spell that occurs in mid winter (in Kentucky, usually late January) that produces a period when minimum temperature remains above freezing for a few consecutive days. It recognizes the incursion of a maritime tropical air mass that displaces winter for a short period. It is welcomed now but may not have been before the time of paved roads.

Dogwood Winter is a cold spell that occurs after spring seems to have arrived (in Kentucky, usually mid April) and while the dogwood trees are in bloom. In the northern parts of Kentucky or where dogwoods are uncommon, it may be called locust winter for the tree that blooms at about the same time. The climate lore name recognizes the return of a continental polar air mass of sufficient severity to feel like winter again.

Blackberry Winter is a cold spell that occurs while blackberries are in bloom (early May in Kentucky). This folklore recognizes another, but less severe, return of a continental polar air mass after maritime tropical air masses have begun to dominate.

Linsey-Woolsey Britches Winter refers to the last surge of cold continental polar air in the spring (usually in late May in Kentucky). It relates to the last time during spring that winter clothing of homespun linen-wool combination had to be worn.

Similar folklore seasons are recognized in Europe and elsewhere. These folklore seasons are a combination of fact and myth. They are factual in that such hot and cold spells occur during year. They are mythical if applied to a specific time each year. There are no quantitative measurements that would allow unquestionable identification of them. Nevertheless, it is remarkable that these hot and cold spells would have been noticed before extensive climate records were available and before climatological statistics could be used."

Sponsored