Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue jacaranda in TN?

Posted by rizzir z7b TN (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 12 at 12:40

Has anyone successfully grown a blue jacaranda in Tennessee? I'm gardening all in blues at my new-to-me historic home in Knoxville, to match the trim on my house. I keep dreaming of having a blue-flowering tree to go with my plantings... I have a microclimate that might do, in the pocket created where my front porch meets the house. Lots of morning and afternoon sunlight, missing the noon hours. Ample water from two downspouts available.

Lest you think I'm not aware, I realize that most US jacarandas are actually lavender-colored, and resemble the evil invader Pawlonia tomentosa, "Princess Tree," which I would never plant on purpose. If I tried a jacaranda, I would try to get one of the cobalt blue-flowering types found in Australia.

Would I have a chance or should I give up on this crazy dream now? Any other true blue trees or tall shrubs you can think of that might fare better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue jacaranda in TN?

It's going to require either a very warm microclimate, a lot of babying, or both. If I were going to try one, I wouldn't use it as part of a landscape (where it's death would leave a void). It might be worth playing with as long as you realize it very very well might not make it, and a cold winter will be a real challenge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here