Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlesmartel2

Anyone with any luck with Eucalyptus in Tennessee?

charlesmartel2
13 years ago

I'm outside of Nashville in a hilly area and really came to love the smell of Eucalyptus I found when I visited the West Coast.

I've since planted a Eucalyptus pauciflora, both spp. debeuzevillei and Niphophila (Jonama Snow Gum and Snow gum). These were among the two cold hardiest species I could find (neglecta, gunnii, and archeri all seemed like reasonable options, as well). I haven't been able to find much on either of these making it Zone 6b, but I thought I'd give them a try. I've set them on a pretty steep grade with some tree/shrub coverage from north winds, but we'll see. Apparently cold wind will dessicate their leaves pretty bady.

The coldest we ever got in the Nashville area was 8 degrees last winter, which is the coldest I could remember. Seems the debeuzevillei are cold hard down to 0 to 5.

I'm fairly new to gardening, and have really come to love it. Any suggestions on how to keep these guys warm on the coldest winter nights? I'm mulching them deeply. But when it gets down in the single digits, I'm not sure how effect sprinkling, milk cartons or the like are going to be. Not really much springs to mind except a propane-heater or the like.

We'll be hoping for none of this single digit nonsense any time soon.

Thanks!

Comments (5)