Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daphne35

creeping thrift

daphne35
15 years ago

Does anyone know where I can purchase creeping thrift plugs? It seems that most garden centers are selling this plant in 1 gallon pots this year at around $4.50-$8.50/pot!! I need at least 100+ to border a very large bed so these are cost prohibitive--I live in Dickson about 40 miles west of Nashville.

Comments (6)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

I had never heard it called that, but I figured out what it was. Have you checked the sources from Dave's Garden? I didn't check through them, but I'll post the link for you. Just check the rating of any places you consider buying from on Garden Watchdog before placing the order. You can go back and forth between the companies websites and Garden Watchdog from this one page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave's Garden Plant Scout

• rockguy
    15 years ago

Usually there are several plants in one pot, can you divide them and plug the area? It also comes as seeds.

• Soeur
    15 years ago

In these parts folks call Phlox subulata "thrift", which is initially confusing to those of us who know thrift as a completely different plant. They call daffodils "buttercups", too. :)

The suggestion to buy a big plant and divvy it up into plugs is good advice. A full gallon pot could yield 10 or so, which even at the highest price is a deal. That's not much more than the wholesale pricing to commercial growers per plug.

• dorisvirginia
    12 years ago

I have been searching in local nurseries and plant stores for the "old fashioned" blue/purple THRIFT. This plant grew in a mound - it did not "creep" but the mound just grew larger - maybe, giving it a creeping description. The nurseries tell me they have not seen any in years OR they tell me that "phlox" is the same thing which it is not. I bought & planted several mounds in the mid-80's but have since moved from that house. At that time my mother told me they were old fashioned plants. **Has anyone seen this plant in nurseries or plant stores? Is it still being sold? Does anyone have any info on it.*** Thank you from LoUiSiAna.

• Soeur
    12 years ago

Hey Doris,

Not sure which plant you're calling thrift, but the plant gardeners outside of the American South know as thrift is a mounding plant with rosy purple ball-shaped flower clusters above the evergreen foliage. The botanical name is Armeria maritima. If you Google image that name you'll see some good pics of it. The species is still sold, although not widely found. I grew it when I was growing perennials at a Nashville nursery and it performed pretty well as long as it wasn't overwatered. I wouldn't call the flowers blue-purple though.

Marty

• dorisvirginia
    11 years ago

I can't believe I have found this post and a year later. LOL

Marty, the thrift you mentioned above is not the one I have been looking for. But Thanks.

Family: Polemoniaceae
    Genus: Phlox
    Species: subulata

The above must be what I know as "Thrift" which is the Moss Thrift or Creeping Thrift. I did find a small pot last summer but has not grown to look like the "old timey" thrift that my mother gave me in the mid-1980's.

Obviously, plant propagation through the years has changed the old, old thrift that I am searching for.