Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tngreenthumb

Tennessee Plants - Viginia Bluebells

tngreenthumb
16 years ago

Not sure if these are truly native, but I have seen them growing along streams in TN all my life. So as far as I'm concerned, in spite of their name, they are native. *grin*

Latin name: Mertensia virginica

A spring ephemeral, the bluebell does its thing in late March to early April and by about June are completely gone. Just one of the very interesting plants you'll find growing in the woods in our great state.

(Click on images for larger versions)

Comments (9)

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Ooooh! We have some just starting to bloom in our shade garden. Your last picture magically became my desktop pic of the week!

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Amazing how that happens, isn't it?

It's a little java script I attach to all my pictures. *grin*

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Oooo, good idea! I have rotating desktops, this'll be a great addition to the set. :-)

• katiedidcottage
    16 years ago

How beautiful! Also on my desktop now.

• flowermom_aandd
    16 years ago

One of my favorite purchases at the flea market in Jonesboro. 1 gallon plants in 2nd spring now three feet across. Love them.

Whats a good companion plant for when they die back?? They are flourishing in a bed that everything seems to die in. (Started shade but keeps getting more sun. We replaced trees then neighbor removed all his trees!)

• sondra_tn
    16 years ago

Gorgeous!! I want some...lol I don't have anything blue in my bed's. Will have to go walking in the wood's I guess. :)

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

I have been seeing these bloom on the back wooded roads. Now that I know what they are, I will just have to drive hubby nuts (like always) and stop to dig some up. I am always in for shade plants. How hard are they to transplant?

• tnfarmersgirl
    16 years ago

Wow...I was just wondering what they were. There is a great walking path near here in Collegedale and they were all over, simply stunning.

Thanks

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, they are ephemerals, so it's best to wait until they have about gone before digging them. But then sometimes you have to get while the getting is good.

They have rather large rhizomes and are usually pretty deep. They seem to prefer the sandy soil around creeks and rivers. Places that flood occasionally.

They may wilt a bit when being transplanted, but the ones I got sat in a grocery sack for about a day before I could get them home and planted. They look a little odd now, but they are surviving. I think they will be back next year!

Sponsored