Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tennessee Plants - Viginia Bluebells

Posted by tngreenthumb z6 TN (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 14:50

Not sure if these are truly native, but I have seen them growing along streams in TN all my life. So as far as I'm concerned, in spite of their name, they are native. *grin*

Latin name: Mertensia virginica

A spring ephemeral, the bluebell does its thing in late March to early April and by about June are completely gone. Just one of the very interesting plants you'll find growing in the woods in our great state.

(Click on images for larger versions)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tennessee Plants - Viginia Bluebells

Ooooh! We have some just starting to bloom in our shade garden. Your last picture magically became my desktop pic of the week!

o

Amazing how that happens, isn't it?

It's a little java script I attach to all my pictures. *grin*

o

Oooo, good idea! I have rotating desktops, this'll be a great addition to the set. :-)

o

How beautiful! Also on my desktop now.

o

One of my favorite purchases at the flea market in Jonesboro. 1 gallon plants in 2nd spring now three feet across. Love them.

Whats a good companion plant for when they die back?? They are flourishing in a bed that everything seems to die in. (Started shade but keeps getting more sun. We replaced trees then neighbor removed all his trees!)

o

Gorgeous!! I want some...lol I don't have anything blue in my bed's. Will have to go walking in the wood's I guess. :)

o

I have been seeing these bloom on the back wooded roads. Now that I know what they are, I will just have to drive hubby nuts (like always) and stop to dig some up. I am always in for shade plants. How hard are they to transplant?

o

Wow...I was just wondering what they were. There is a great walking path near here in Collegedale and they were all over, simply stunning.

Thanks

o

Well, they are ephemerals, so it's best to wait until they have about gone before digging them. But then sometimes you have to get while the getting is good.

They have rather large rhizomes and are usually pretty deep. They seem to prefer the sandy soil around creeks and rivers. Places that flood occasionally.

They may wilt a bit when being transplanted, but the ones I got sat in a grocery sack for about a day before I could get them home and planted. They look a little odd now, but they are surviving. I think they will be back next year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here