Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
memphistigerlily

Question about Mphs Plant swap

memphistigerlily
16 years ago

Hello guys I'm a newbie here and I had a question about the Memphis plant swap. Ok so not only am I a newbie here I am a newbie at gardening. . I had a few questions on how it works. So please forgive me.

Like I said I kind of new to gardening so I don't have much to trade. But even if I don't trade I think it would be interesting to attend the plant swap even if its just to meet up with people and look around. But for example if I have like a few extra gladiolus bulbs that are sprouting, or maybe a hosta bulb I could bring those?!?

Is it family oriented or its one of those things that moms do to get away from the kids? LOL Basically do children normally come or is it one of those "stay home with dad" days.

Also I saw something on the registration list about food. Is it like a potluck were everyone brings some sort of dish?

Thanks for putting up with a rookie and her questions :o)

Comments (16)

• sandsquid
    16 years ago

I say bring what you have, even if it just your smile. But smiles are mandatory!

Also remember the church yard sale happening inside the Gymnasium. So clean out your closets and attics and take a tax deduction next year!

> Is it family oriented or its one of those things that moms
    > do to get away from the kids?

This _-DAD-_ will be bringing his kids... (actually they will be helping me cook the pancakes for breakfast.)

If you want to bring them the invitation is open, NOBODY is specifically excluded (unless of course they are the disruptive, unruly type ;-)

>Is it like a potluck were everyone brings some sort of dish?

Yes.

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

EVERYONE is welcome. I am sure we will have tons of plants and even more friendship to share. We are having potluck lunch and a great breakfast from the sounds of it!

• memphistigerlily
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great, sounds like a breath of fresh air and intersting day for me to take a peek and learn some things. I will do my very best not to be unruley :o) Sandsquid, I ment "stay home with dad day" for my kid and her dad. Not that I didn't expect to see Dads there. I wish my husband shared a love of gardening to so them maybe he would let me endulge in it more often.

Hey is something like a Styrofoam cups something people might be able to use. I have a whole stack of them. My husband found a whole huge box of unopend, styrofoam coffee size cups on the side of the road a year ago, and haven't used half of them. Figured maybe someone could use them for seedlings.

Anything in particular food wise I should bring?

• sandsquid
    16 years ago

Bring hubby! I need strong backs to help with moving the 3 cubic yards of Pro-Mix and 1 ton of gravel that is being dropped in the parking-lot on Friday afternoon, to fill the (3) 4'x8'x22" raised planting beds I'm building this week.

• memphistigerlily
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I thought I replied to this yesterday but I guess I was mistaken. I wish I could get hubby to come with me but he is not a big gardening fan, and it quite the sourpuss about it sometimes :o) Plus he has slight scoliosis and he has been complainin about his back acting up and hurting a bit these week.

However that being said, If you guys need help. I would be willing to help as much as I could. As long as their are wheel barrow and they aren't to terribley heavy I could help move things as long as my 4 year old daughter with me will permit

• sandsquid
    16 years ago

Lumber for raised beds was delivered this afternoon.

Got everything cut to length and started assembling the beds' frames till my cordless drill and the sunlight gave out. But everything is cut to length and just needs to be screwed together and set in place, now. We will be back tomorrow night to attempt to finish up the frames and get them set.

Absolutely want to get as much done before the soil shows up Friday so they might be able to off-load w/ the bobcat straight into the beds rather than dump it all in a big pile, 20 feet away.

At about 1PM on Saturday, (after the swap "officially" ends) the clients from the Good Life Center, an adult day-care for developmentally challenged adults (Autistic and Down Syndrome) will be arriving to plant their seeds, and I want to have the beds ready for them, at all costs!!! (Which is why the beds are being built to ADA specifications.)

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

John, I thought the swap was going till 3? In our very first post, it was 3. I understand the hurry but we can rock till 3 right? I will see about helping as much as I can.

• sandsquid
    16 years ago

Absolutely, you can stay until dark, if you want.

I was thinking some folks will likely start to pull stakes after "swapping" all morning, lunching and then the guest speakers. It can make for a long day no matter _how_ fun it is. ( I know I will be starting at 0530-0600 to unlock and get breakfast started, and get the coffee on. Yippee, that should be "fun")

Didn't want anybody to feel _obligated_ to stay and help w/ any of the remaining grounds clean-up and planting beds, etc.

• fernzilla
    16 years ago

Howdy Ya'll

I have never been to one of the plant swaps. Where is it going to be held?
    I would love to meet some local memphis gardeners. My Husband enjoys our garden a bit, but basically only mows the lawn.
    If I am able to attend, what type of food is reccomended?
    I probably wont have much to bring if anything as, my garden is just coming to life. I haven't even start taking any cuttings to root yet.

• sandsquid
    16 years ago

Good Shepherd UMC
    6050 Summer Ave.
    (Directly across form Shelby Oaks Elementary)

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

We would love the cuttings. Just pack some up and we can root them ourselves.

Just a reminder to all.........
    WHAT TO BRING

Here are a few suggestions on what to bring:

PLANTS!
    - Plants rooted and potted in paper cups, pots, tin cans or any type container. They can also be wrapped in paper or plastic. Every size plant is acceptable, from seedlings to monster mature plants, bulbs, rhizomes, seeds, bushes, shrubs, trees, vegetables, perennials, annuals, herbs, vines, succulents, water plants and houseplants. If youÂve got it, bring it! REMEMBER TO LABEL YOUR PLANTS.

NON-PLANT ITEMS
    - Flower pots, baskets, arts and crafts, homemade jelly, jam, preserves, canned food, gourds, birdhouses, butterfly houses, books, garden magazines, garden tools, garden art, fertilizer and anything that you can come up with that is garden related.

• memphistigerlily
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sandsquid,
    Do you need landscaping plants for the church? I had two small holly bushes on each side of my garage that the builders put in. I always hated them there because every time my daughter and I would walk by them from getting out of the car we got poked. I purchaed something to replace that spot and was going to do it this evening. While my husband for once was feeling nice last evening and dug up the holly bushes for me. I think he did an ok job, he got the root ball out good. They are in good shape, I just realized last night they actually have the nursery tags still attached to them. (Planted 3 years ago by builders) Only thing is I had planned on bring them to the swap but I had to get some sort of container to put them in (I was going to do that tonight) Well last night by the time I got home and settled it started raining and the tornado watches and all and I didn't want to get back out to store. They have alot of dirt around their roots and with the rain today they should be ok today right? (sorry newbie question) I saw my neighboor putting top soil on her yard last night. I am sure I can get those empty bags to transport them in. Should work as a make shift temporary transport.

I know you were talking about trying to spruce the church up and figured that these are used alot for commercial landscaping and that I would offer them up if you need. Them. They are medium to smaller size

• memphistigerlily
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ahh... never mind I just went back and read the post and realized its not landscaping persay you are doing for the church its a garden.

Well they are still up for grabs for some that might want them.

• sandsquid
    16 years ago

We are absolutely doing land-scraping!

Anything that is pretty and or hardy is welcome.

I'll be tilling and creating some new planting beds, and we are going to need something to put in them.

Either established plants, seedling or seed.
    "low maintenance" is preferred ;-)

• memphistigerlily
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great! They were in good shape while in the ground. I am sure they will fair well until Sat. for transplanting. They were healthy and definately being little holly bushes very low mantainance. I'll bring the two of them and if you can use them for the church yard you are welcome to them.

• maemae0312
    16 years ago

And I have some junipers, don't know what kind they are but they are the low spreading kind. one got a little damage from some workers I had at the house but there are 3 total. You can have first dibs for the church if you can use them :)

Mary

Sponsored