Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria

Posted by maggie58 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 15:16

We had a late spring in Mid. Tn and I have not yet pruned my Wisteria. It is now April 5. Is it too late to prune to encourage blooming? Not that I get a lot of blooming anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria

I think pruning it now would be just fine. I have been doing a lot of pruning lately.

o

removed

This post was edited by Easy69 on Sat, May 25, 13 at 0:54

o

I haven't grown Wisteria but I am a licensed arborist and I know that Wisteria is a very vigorous and hardy vine. In my opinion, you'd be fairly safe pruning a Wisteria vine at any time of year as long as you follow proper pruning techniques and don't overtrim it. By overtrim, I mean absolutely shear all of the foliage off. As long as you leave enough green for the plant to maintain it's photosynthesis process and you make clean cuts at bud nodes, any plant can be trimmed at any time.
If you really want to be careful about it, prune it in stages a couple weeks apart. Trim a bit, let it recover, then trim a bit more. Be sure to fertilize with a balanced, quality fertilizer to help the plant in it's recovery as well.
Hope that helps :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here