Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

Tell me about Monarda

brandon7 TN_zone7
14 years ago

I was presented with two cute little Monarda didyma plants. They look so healthy, adorable, and harmless. I've read that they can have issues and be somewhat invasive. What's your experience?

They are in the Lamiaceae (mint) family. How invasive are they compared to other mints? Do they self-seed? If they are pulled out when they grow out of bounds, is it easy to get all the root so that they don't grow back from those roots?

Are they beautiful plants that lend themselves to providing future plant swap candidates or thugs ready to give me a workout trying to keep up with them?

Comments (10)

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

We have two Monarda didyma plants, one planted 2 years ago, the other last year. The oldest is a dark burgundy color and completely rounded, the other a pinkish color that is more a spreading out growth. Both 8+" plants that anyone would love at a swap.

I mentioned last year about the Erythrina Crista-galli (Firemans Cap) plant, you said you had to have one. Do you have a contact that will be at our plant swap May 16. I will have you a rooting from our plant, usually not sprouting up, but the warmer temps have brought out alot of plants early. Let me know. Not sure about your temps in the winter, this one has done great even with several nights in the teens this past winter. Wanda

• satogaeru
    14 years ago

I grew monarda didyma down in Georgia (I am now in Chattanooga). My lot was not as sunny as monarda likes. I was expecting problems with powdery mildew but had very little trouble, just a touch towards the end of the season. However, I didn't get as many blooms as my neighbor who gave me the extras. She had a ton more sun than I, and I never saw powdery mildew on her plants.

It did spread but not as fast as I wanted it to. Certainly it wasn't like spearmint or anything. To be honest, I never tried pulling any out because I wanted more of it - the flowers are so beautiful! It didn't bloom as well in my shadier yard as it did in my neighbor's yard.

It doesn't seem to tolerate dry soil very well. I've actually just gotten a small plant myself, and I'm trying to decide where to put it on my new lot.

• krikit
    14 years ago

Hey Brandon - I have this plant and like it very much. I planted it with a barrier around it for fear of it spreading too much, but I'd have to agree with satogaeru that it has not spread nearly as much as I'd like. I'm planning to move it to a sunnier location that tends to stay damp and see if it will do better. I really like it.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They're planted, so I guess I'll have first hand experience by this time next year. I don't mind them spreading a little as long as they can be removed, when I want them to be, without having to resort to a nuclear blast. Ever since my experience with Equisetum hyemele, I've started being more cautious even with things that aren't technically invasive. The Equisetum almost ate my house. I had to make a sizable contribution to Monsanto as well as participate in some strenuous workouts to get that stuff under control.

Wanda, I'm pretty sure Ione will be at both swaps. Ione, are you out there? Maybe I could con her into bringing it with her to the ETPS. I'm not sure how I would get anything back to you for exchange though. If you see anything on my seed list (not as big right now as other times), I'd be happy to mail you whatever you wanted (plus more, lol).

• Soeur
    14 years ago

Brandon, my experience with M. didyma is the more water it gets, the faster it spreads. If it's remotely happy it spreads anyway, but you can control it's territory takeover by giving it a little dryness. It's not really hard to whack around the edges of the clump in earliest spring to check it's spread. You can always give those chunks away.

The single big disease issue with this plant is powdery mildew. Some cvs are much more resistant than others. In my experience 'Jacob Cline' is the most mildew resistant of the reds, with 'Peter's Purple' the most resistant of the purples. I haven't found a mildew-proof pink, but I haven't grown every variety there is, either, and there may be a nice one. Growing the plant on the dry side increases the chance of mildew, so it pays to have a mildew-resistant variety if you have the choice.

I've had crummy luck growing the Petite series that came out of Morden Station in Canada, both as a professional grower and as a gardener in TN, although it grew well for me further north. Perhaps it's our hot summers.

Marty

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Wanda, I contacted Ione, and she said she can bring the tree to the Knoxville swap. Let me know what you want in exchange. And, thanks for remembering!

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Oh Great, I am just thankful it came up so early this year. I will go ahead and place in a pot. Let Ione know I am looking forward to meeting her, would she also like one potted? Exchange for me would be it grows well and you enyoy it!

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Oh, I noticed you call it a tree, which I am sure it is in the tropics, but here it will be a rounded tall plant that will die down in our winters. The pictures taken last year of mine I will put with your plant.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    14 years ago

Hey Wanda --

I just noticed this thread. Thanks for thinking of me! I'm looking forward to meeting you at the swap!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wanda, I understand its herbaceous nature in this climate. I've got a few other plant/shrub/trees with a similar growth habit here in our colder climate that would be trees if they were in a more tropical area. As a coincidence, Ione gave me one of them. (-:

I will do my best to give it a good home! Thanks again.

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH