Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub suggestions

Posted by msbatt 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 07 at 16:15

I need suggestions for some foundation plantings with a western exposure. I want easy-care things, mostly shrubs, that stay SMALL---like three feet or less. And ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub suggestions

Boxwoods!!!

o

There is a dwarf English Laurel (Otto something?) that seems popular these days. There's a small broadleaf evergreen called Cleyera (sp?) that I like that also has some red color in it. Makes me think of a dwarf photina or something. Also check out something called a Skimmia.

o

I believe the cleyaras get really big. 10' or so in a reasonable amount of time. They have some very old ones down further South that are 40'+.

o

I HATE boxwoods. (*grin*)I want something 'pretty', and something that the BF won't have to do anything to---'cause he ain't gonna.

o

I LOVE our Boxwoods! They are pretty and I can trim them to any shape I want. They are low-to-no maintenance and work as hedges, solitary shrubs, containers, ornamentals, and topiary's. What more could you ask for? I got some Horticulture magizine a few months back and the cover story was on Boxwoods. WOW! They were freakin' awesome! But if you don't like them then that's cool; to each his or her own. We have minatures too!

o

Skimmia skimmia skimmia

o

That dwarf English laurel is "Otto Lukens" and they do very well here. Mine came through the recent horrific freeze with flying colors!

o

If the area is somewhat shady, you can always plant some camellias!

o

We just planted 5 Otto Luyken Laurels in the front of our house (which is very shady most of the day) - they look really beautiful, and I think they're supposed to bloom profusely with tiny white flowers even in dense shade (or so my Home Depot landscaping book says....)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here