Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Other Columbia gardeners?

Posted by novice_2009 zone 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 16:36

I'm looking for other gardeners living in Columbia, i'm new to planting a lot of things this year.......would love to read any tips you have on veggie gardens, herb gardens, shade gardens, how you planned you gardens, canning, whatever! Let's get in touch. I posted on spring 2009 roll call.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Other Columbia gardeners?

We live on the West side of Columbia in Willow Lake. Have both veggie and flower gardens. Always love to share plants and information. Been canning for over 30 years, I just love it. Great to know you are interested in learning. Keep you eye out for yard sales that have canning jars, they seem to get more expensive every year. We are also on the Spring 2009 roll call.

o

My grandparents live in Sunnyside. I live on Mooresville pike, and i'm just learning to plant new veggies, want to can. Our garden plot is not very big. What's your advice on growing beans, tomatoes, squash, corn? I dont use pesticides or herbicides, and am using compost to enrich the soil. With your 30 years experience, can you recommend good placement of these, and anything else you might think of. Love cucumbers, husband loves pickles, soooo.... It's true...the price of canning jars is high-like everything else. My grandmother has a few, and my mom has a few. I just want to grow enough fresh veggies to feed my family and friends. ANY tips you could send my way would be appreciated! Thanks.

o

Hello my Columbia niegbors. I'm in Lewisburg so pretty close to ya. I try to keep chemicals to a minimum. Compost and lots of it is fab. If you are just starting out beans are a winner and very easy to grow. Squash is usually very prolific and tomatoes a source of pride. I find corn to be more demanding as it needs alot of food. I hope to meet you all at the swap. Rhonda

o

Well, my phone is in Columbia and my mail comes through Spring Hill. Come check out a Spring Hill Garden Club meeting some time. We have members from Columbia, Spring Hill, Thompsons Station, and Franklin. Our website is at:
http://www.springhillgardenclub.org/

We'd love to have you pop in for a meeting.

Evelyn

o

Sounds good! Ladybug i'm doing organic gardening this year, no herbicides, pesticides, or chemical fertilizers.
I've good success with tomatoes and cucumbers in the past.
This year I'm trying out beans, corn, zucchini, onions, and sugar baby watermelon(my daughter LOVES watermelon).
It's a lot of new stuff I'm doing, but i read all i can, and try to follow some common advice. Starting it all from seed this year, little nervous about that. But I'm very excited, also have a shade garden and am making raised bed flower garden on sunny side of house. I'm going to keep a journal on everything, so I can learn from mistakes and successes. What's the swap ladybug?

o

I too am from Columbia. I do some sun but mostly shade gardens. I do some tomatoes and had success with bell peppers. I am looking to expand my veggie prowess as well as any shade plants. I love Lowes in Columbia. I have had some good success with the reduced price perennials. Anything I can help you with just ask.

Jennifer

o

Heydee Novice,
The swap I am speaking about is the mtps (middle tennessee plant swap). We hold in in the Henry Horton park in Chapel Hill twice a year. Do a search on garden web for it and make sure you check out our web sight. Got one coming up May 16. It is way too much fun! Rhonda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here