Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
millingtoncb

Compost Question

millingtoncb
13 years ago

I have a question guys/gals. What is the difference between creating your own compost in a compost pile or purchasing the bags from Lowe's, HD, etc?

I have been researching composting at home and it takes quite a while to get the black gold. Yet I can run to the store and pick some up easily. Is there really any difference?

Comments (6)

• atokadawn
    13 years ago

Well yea there is a difference.
    1. the cost.
    2. what you want in it.( ph levels, etc)
    3. the cost.
    4. the recycling.
    5. did I mention the cost? lol
    I have a big compost pile in my back corner of the yard. I add to it all year long. It is the most wonderful place to find worms if I want to go fishing too.(added plus)
    In the fall I add my leaves to my pile and all year there are food scraps, chicken poo, and grass clipings.
    I can gurentee(sp) that my compost is richer than ANY you could buy. I also know where I need to place what add ons to,lime, acid ashes, etc.
    Just my two cents,or is it only a penny now?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Most of the bagged compost available at the big box stores is composted bark fines. That's good stuff, but still won't be nearly as good (texture-wise or nutrient-wise) as homemade compost. The other thing to think about is why throw away compostable material from your yard and then pay for compost from somewhere else?

most compost from the big box stores = expensive black bronze
    homemade compost = free black gold

• paperart
    13 years ago

I couldn't garden without my compost pile. like atokadawn, I add to it all year and it is a wonderful and absolutly free addition to my garden and even outside potted plants.
    i wrote a blog post last year about my compost container that my husband built for me. the link is below. I don't do anything special to mine except layer all my clippings, raw veggie leftovers, leaves and maunre when i can get it. My brother gave me a big ole pile of horse manure for my bithday - he said he couldn't think of a better gift for me than a big load of - well, you can fill in the blank. LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: compost bin

• novice_2009
    13 years ago

I haven't had a lot of luck with my compost. Last year, I don't think it got "hot" enough....because when I put some on my garden along with late fall cover crops weed seeds sprung up immediately. I'm gonna leave out the grass clippings this year I think. I've added kitchen stuff to it all winter long. No manure to add to it. It's kinda in a shady spot. Don't know. I won't give up though- maybe more turning? It needs stuff added to it maybe?
    I ordered some Vermont compost in 6 qt. bags....it's full of the good stuff, and I think will really help this hard clay soil, and nourish my plants organically.
    The only problem?
    $$$$$$$$$$

• tngreenthumb
    13 years ago

I keep two going year round. One is the "fresh" pile and the other is the "cooked" pile. I don't do any serious science on this. Yard and kitchen scraps, leaves, grass, etc. It all goes in the fresh pile. Then after the fall leaves are on, that pile is closed for additions. The cooked pile is what I pull from in the spring and early summer, only to start it over once all the good stuff is gone.

I turn mine with a front end loader. And it is overall a slow process. If you want faster compost you need to look into one (or more) of the tumblers. Turning it and getting air into the mix is key to breaking everything down and getting it hot enough. The more you can do that the faster it will make.

• cottagegirl_tn
    13 years ago

I love to compost because I hate to waste things that typically go into it ie: kitchen scraps. Also it keeps my garbage from getting smelly. I keep 2 piles going to and am lucky because Glen turns mine for me with his tractor. I don't fret over it and I'm content with the large amount I harvest every sping. It is invaluable to pot up things and place around new transplants. I mix it with manure and peat moss plus some plain potting soil for my containers. Love it!

Sponsored
ABC Glass and Mirror
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars46 Reviews
Northern Virginia Leading Shower Glass and Mirror Designer