Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duke0090_gw

Trellis for Tomatoes

Duke0090
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just put a stake at the end of each of my tomato rows and tied twine across the row. I spaced the twine about 10 inches all the way up the stake.

Do you think this will support my plants or should I do more?

Thanks

Chris

Comments (7)

• Soeur
    12 years ago

It's probably not enough, but it sort of depends on what variety of tomato you're growing. If it's Celebrity or a similar determinate type, a bit more support may be all you need as those sorts don't grow that big. If you're growing heirloom indeterminate types like Brandywine or Mortgage Lifter, ones that grow and bear all summer, you'll need waaaaaay more support. I grow mine in 5 foot high, 30" diameter cages made of 6" concrete reinforcing wire, and the plants swamp those by the end of the season.

Marty

• Duke0090
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Marty,

I have a small raised bed about 10 X 8.

I have one row with 3 Better Boy Tomatoes spaces out every 24 inches. (This is where I have a stake on each end with twine)

On My other row I have 1 Better Boy and 2 Roma Juliet Tomatoes with the same setup as above.

What else would you recommend if I don't have cages and just stakes with twine. I was hoping to do some sort of trellis system with the twine.

Thanks
    Chris

• Duke0090
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anyone Else have any suggestions?

thanks

• atokadawn
    12 years ago

I have a panel of cattle wire that I put between mu poles to support my tomatoes.

• maternut
    12 years ago

I use five or six foot stakes, with about three tomatoe plants between stakes. Sometimes bad weather will still blow them over.

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

Sounds to me that what you've done is whats called the Florida weave. That ought to work if you are diligent about pruning.

If you prefer your plants to get a little more bushy, then I'd use something that will surround the plant a bit more.

I'm trying an A-frame cage this year (looks sorta like an A-frame swing set). I plan to add horizontal boards and strings to support the bushy branches.

• tntom
    12 years ago

I don't use cages very often. In late may i put down 8-12 layers of newsprint and 2-3 inches of wheat straw over the paper, and let the tomatoes grow/spread over the straw. They do not rot as they would on bare ground. Great for keeping moisture in the ground too. The only problem I have had is an occasional turtle finding them.
    I have found that the cages sold comercially are not big enough or stout enough for most heirlooms. Not even the 48" ones. maybe with at least two stakes.

I agree with others here that if you are going to use cages make your own. The 6" concrete reinforcing wire is great, but can be dangerous if you are trying to bend it.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone