Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babydoe_gw

Moving to Whitesburg area

babydoe
17 years ago

My husband and I are moving to our retirement home in the area of Whitesburg from Ohio. We need to plant some decent size evergreens for screening purposes. Any help with which type grow fairly fast and affordable nurseries would be greatly appreciated. I will also be planting a vegetable garden. Any ammendments needed to that red dirt? We don't have that in Ohio

Comments (7)

• anntn6b
    17 years ago

Check out Anne's Greenhaus in Tusculum, just east of Greeneville. Lots of good local knowledge and pretty decent prices.

• babydoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. I will definitely go there. I am going to need all kinds of trees and plants as there is no landscaping that has been done to this place. The views from the front porch are just awesome. We are having a hard time waiting out the next couple of weeks. Is there a plant swap closer than Knoxville?

• anntn6b
    17 years ago

There have been some non-GW swaps near Kingsport.
    This year, everything is happening in slow motion as the area recovers very slowly from the Easter late freezes. Don't let this year mislead you as to temperatures. Even the hay fields are really slow growing this year.
    And you won't be that far from Yoder's market, lucky you.

• babydoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have already visited Yoders Market. Bread and butter pickles and peach butter and friede pies. YUM!! Also picked my mother in law, who will be 79 this summer one of the hand made sunbonnets. Typically, I think you all are about 10 warmer than us most of the time. Freeze got my roses real good. I hope they come out of it. My hostas too. I have family in Morristown and their azaelias are a mess.

• anntn6b
    17 years ago

You might want to take a look at something I wrote about the freeze and rose damage. It's linked below.
    I have a good friend nw of Greeneville and she's usually five degrees colder (and her blooms on the same plants a week later than mine).
    We were at Biltmore the beginning of this week and their azaleas are so interesting: either freeze burned or in bloom. Sometimes on the same plant.
    At least it looks as if our blackberries will make fruits this year; some that are closer to Nashville won't.

Here is a link that might be useful: about the freeze damage

• babydoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can tell by your article that you are much more experienced than I. My enthusiam makes up for lack of knowledge. Could you please explain the planting zone to me? One map says zone 7 and another 6. I am going to be living about 12 miles east if Morristown. I have been reading a lot of the forums and it seems that the Leyland Cypress is not well thought of. Do you know why? I was just wanting a screening tree to plant along a fence row.

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

The friends I know who have a simlar row of Leyland Cypress now wish they had something else.
    To me, it looks great and has filled the line. But my friend works close up with the trees and figures that they have mabe three or four more years before they start dieing. He's had them for ?six years. I can ask what he wishes he'd planted.
    I do know a fair amount about roses, but I know how little I know about most perennials and soils.
    What zone are we?
    I'm also where we are either 6 or 7 depending on which map/reference we use.
    IF I were only planting annuals and a garden, it really wouldn't matter. But we have fruit trees (with varying degrees of success) and the roses are also somewhat zone dependent as are some perennials.
    We've had our farm since '93. In that time, we had a misery of several nights down to -12F at the farm house. (Since then, I've found that the bottom of our hill is five degrees colder than where the house is.)
    That puts us in zone 6. But if we average the -12 with several of our more recent cold winters temps (one of which was a balmy 20F, the average kicks us to zone 7.
    But when it comes to plants surviving for decades (and I hope you plan to enjoy east TN for many additional decades), knowing how cold it can get helps with planning. Maybe (it was my plan) to keep my more tender plants in one area so they could be protected with a massive drop cloth and the old fashioned heat giving off Christmas tree lights (that we had used in New Orleans to keep a tree fern alive).
    The century cold was in the 80s (a bone chilling -23F) took out a lot of plants. I think there was a similar cold in the 1800s. But I am planting as if I won't be around for the next one.
    Most years we are zone 7 or rarely 8. But we are threatened by zone 6 conditions often enough that we have to take it into consideration and plant on windward sides, near stones or brick, and just enjoy and learn.
    Ann

Sponsored