Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cardboard as weedblock?

Posted by sweetposey 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 07 at 17:36

One of my gardening pals advised me to use heavy cardboard as weedblock. I had been using newspaper, but it does break down fairly quickly. Would the cardboard allow air/water to get thru while still blocking weeds? Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cardboard as weedblock?

We have used card board, used carpet pieces and anything we can find for weed control...they all seem to work pretty good.

o

Don't use carpet! It can be a complete nightmare. There have been a number of posts on gardenweb lamenting the use of carpet for weed block. When weeds or grass grow through it (and they will unless you weed regularly), you have to take the entire thing, including the vegetation, up all at once. You'd be better off with nothing than with carpet.

I have had good luck with cardboard. It lasts long enough to completely kill the vegetation underneath which is what you want.

o

We had no trouble with the carpet...none what so ever.

o

Below are a couple of links to some example Gardenweb posts by people who have tried it and found it to be a problem. BTW, according to some of the posts on here, there are serious chemical and biological DANGERS in using old carpet in vegetable gardens!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flgard/msg0723114211638.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/weeds/msg091032144755.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Carpet Mulch Problems

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here