Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitasmommie

Dogs vs Trees

kitasmommie
14 years ago

So - my female Akita has taken a liking to the blue spruce we planted after Christmas.

She will intentionally pee on the mulch around the tree.

I've tried taking up the old mulch, watering very well & putting down new mulch - but she's right back at it.

She's free to roam the yard & doesn't bother any of my other gardens - some of which have the same mulch....but appears she has a thing about this tree.

What can I put down to deter her? I would really prefer something that is not full of chemicals.

Comments (10)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Do you have an electrical outlet nearby?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

or...see link below.

I'm guessing you meant possibly harmful or dangerous chemicals (cause everything's full of chemicals of some kind or other).

Here is a link that might be useful: Get Away Dog & Cat Repellent

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

and, BTW, there are numerous other safe (chemical) choices. I don't know which ones work best. Here are a couple of random examples:

Bio Defend Dog & Cat Repellent - http://www.yardlover.com/bio-defend-dog-and-cat-8-oz-granular

Critter Ridder Repellent - http://www.havahart.com/ourbrands/critter-ridder

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

My boys (dogs...) have taken to peeing on the latest addition to the backyard, a Japanese Cryptomeria (Globosa Nana, a small shrub). Of course they would pick the shrub I had paid the most for. :)

So far they are mostly peeing on the back side of it, so as long as the front continues to look OK I'm not too pee-ved. LOL

Have you considered planting another "sacrificial" bush? If they continue to do this, that's going to be my next move. I think maybe they are just interested because it is the newest thing back there, and they are marking it as "theirs."

When potty training puppies, I often hear recommended that you take them out on leash to the area in which you would prefer them to do their business. With enough repetitions, this becomes their "place." I never went to the trouble to do this, but I'm sure it can be done.

I don't know of any product you can buy to deter this.

Brandon - an electrical outlet? :(

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

I posed your question on my dog forum...I'll let you know if I get any hits. :)

So, she is just peeing on the mulch? You have a girl, right, and she's not actually peeing *on* the tree? I was just wondering, is it going to harm the tree to pee on the mulch surrounding it?

• columbiajen
    14 years ago

I am a Veterinary Technician. I have a few questions. Is your female dog the only dog you own? Also are the neighborhood dogs using this same spot to urinate as well? If so it could be a dominate situation where one dog urinates to leave the smell behind to "warn" other dogs that this is "Their" territory. Even female dogs will exhibit a "marking" behavior. It is not just males. This happens a lot especially in the spring when mating is a concern. There are deterrent sprays and such that have some success, however I find more success with retraining the dog to urinate in a different spot.
    Once the dog goes out to eliminate and begins to go to that spot, you will want to deter that specific behavior so clap or just a stern no is effective. You can also shake a can with coins as well. Just something loud enough to get the dogs attention. Likewise when the dog urinates in an area you approve of you have to offer praise, a pat and a small treat go a long way for this.
    Also if it is the domination situation as I described above you need something like an enzyme eliminator to rid the smell of the other animals scent that is left behind. The enzymes excreted can still be there even if it has rained or water has rinsed the area.
    The praise training will work if you keep at it. Every dog is different so there is no way to tell how long it would take. Akitas are very smart though so I think she would catch on quickly. I hope this helps some.

Garden Blessings,
    Jennifer

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Brief hijack: Jen! I didn't know you were a vet tech!!!

• kitasmommie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We do have two female dogs - but because the Akita won't tolerate others, they are kept separate (yes - that does make for alot of fun on rainy days). The Akita has the front yard & the lab mix has the back yard & "ne're the twain shall meet".
    We did have her trained to go in a certain area of the yard - she's 8 years old & this has worked till we planted the new tree. Her aim is not quite good enough to hit the tree itself - but because it's a small tree, I'm worried about what gets to the root ball.
    I've tried the "clap" - "no" & the can of coins - she looks at me like I have 3 heads while she peeing on the mulch.
    Guess we'll have to go back to the leash & re-direct her back to the regular potty area.
    will also try some stuff that brandon suggested- except for the electrical thing.
    Thanks for all your help.

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Do you think you could switch dogs in parts of the yard? Or are they too habituated to their "domains" at this point?

I'm thinking, though, that it might not really be an issue. If the tree is mulched, I'm *thinking* that the mulch might absorb most of the urine before it can reach the root ball.

One of the members of my dog forum posted this link that is kind of interesting. His suggestion, based on this article, is to dilute the urine with water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog urine damage on lawns

• columbiajen
    14 years ago

connietn

"Brief hijack: Jen! I didn't know you were a vet tech!!!"

Yes, I am. Licensed by the state of TN in fact. I am currently unemployed though so If you know of any place hiring let me know lol. Catch me at the MTPS and I will tell you all about it.

Kitasmommie

Best of luck! Keep us posted.

Garden Blessings
    Jennifer