Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflower_fun

butterfly bushes and crepe myrtles

sunflower_fun
9 years ago

All my butterfly bushes seem to be dead. Crepe Myrtles too. Is there any hope or is it time to cut them down. We had a really cold winter.

from
Elizabethton

Comments (7)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

It's really too early early to tell for sure. I would think that the butterfly bushes would be at least budding out by now. Mine are well on their way. CrApe myrtles, on the other hand, are always one of the last plants to leaf out. A bark scrape (looking for green underneath the bark) might tell you something.

• midtn
    9 years ago

Should know by now if they are coming back. Did they?

• ivy2003
    9 years ago

Hi,

My butterfly bushes are all dead as well due to a very harsh winter here in cleveland.

Rose bushes are dead as well. I don't see any signs of life.
    Ivy2003,

• phantom35
    9 years ago

My crepe myrtles have curling leaves that yellow & die. I just bought home and know nothing about bushes and plants. I do know these were beautiful when I first moved in. I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Phantom, crApe myrtles are relatively drought tolerant, but, with the weather we've been having lately, yours may be suffering from too much heat and not enough water. The damage you describe looks pretty minor in the picture. I wouldn't worry about it unless the picture doesn't really tell the whole story.

I did notice that someone has totally massacred your crapes (crape murder). It will take many years for them to overcome the damage and look like crapes should look. Careful proper pruning may be able to help them along a little. I never have figured out why people do that!

Anyway, if you have more questions, you might want to start a new thread so as not to get off of Sunflower_fun's original topic (winter damage).

• phantom35
    9 years ago

Sunflower_fun I apologize for posting inappropriately. Im new and not so computer/forum savvy as others. I originally tried to find a place to start but could not. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks-brian

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Hey Brian, to start a new thread, go to the main page of a forum (for example the Tennessee Gardening forum). Scroll down past the list of threads (to near the bottom of the page). The section titled "Post a Message to the Forum" is where you want to type for a new message thread. Be sure to check the "Check here if you would like post replies emailed to you" box if you want notifications of replies.

Sponsored