Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joncraig_gw

Source for Concrete Wire (for Tomato Cages)

JonCraig
13 years ago

Hi All,

I drove all over town today looking for concrete reinforcing wire for tomato cages. It seems it's only available in 150 ft rolls. (Which would yield 25 cages... way more that I need!).

Does anyone know where I could find 50 ft rolls?

OR... anyone else in Middle TN need some sturdy tomato cages? I'd have 17 for sale, LOL. I've checked with neighbors et al, and all either don't need cages, or don't garden (gasp!!).

Thoughts?

--JC

Comments (7)

• ccmarks
    13 years ago

Bummer! Thank you for doing the footwork for the rest of us. I was thinking of getting some of this myself, but that amount would also be too much for me. I'd also only need about 8 total cages. Anyone else need some? I'm in Nashville, maybe I could take some of this off your hands but it'd be great if someo other folks did too to make it worth getting that much.

• JonCraig
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'd be happy to sell the remainder of my roll at cost. If memory serves (it was all getting kind of foggy yesterday, lol), a 150 ft roll was $120 (plus tax), so 50 ft would work out to $43.90 (including tax).

I also only need 8 cages, so if you're interested, ccmarks, I'd be happy to buy the wire and meet you somewhere in Nashvegas in the next few days. (I live north of Goodlettsville, but am always in and around Nashville for work.)

Let me know what works best for you. Thanks!

• msbatt
    13 years ago

Fred's sells tomato cages for 2 bucks each.

• JonCraig
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And walgreens sells Pepto Bismol. Both are equally effective at holding up a large indeterminate tomato in anything above a gentle breeze.

• heathersgarden
    13 years ago

Ha ha ha! Pepto bismol **cracks up** Omigosh too funny!

Well tomato cages do work well - for eggplants, peppers and such. But I think making your own cages for actual tomatoes is probably the way to go:)

sheesh, I'm still snickering...

• heathersgarden
    13 years ago

Jon, I may have some friends interested in going in on a partial roll. How do we contact you? Your member page doesn't have an email link.

I think recently GW had an update or something, and reset most of us to where our email links aren't active. If you go to "member pages" at the bottom of any page, then to where you edit your preferences, then you'll see where to select the box marked "Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site". Plus you can do all sorts of other nifty things like start a swap list, tell us all about yourself and such:)

• JonCraig
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm... I tried checking the box just like you said, but got this error repeatedly (in case there are any admin code warriors around, lol): api/persons/39386176 PUT 400 Validation errors found type invalid

Anyway, Heather, I'll try emailing you through GW now with my contact info.

Technology is fun, isn't it? ;-)