Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwhelmed-need planting ideas

Posted by kellyt_green TN (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 07 at 19:23

Hi there-I am new to Tennessee, just moved from Michigan and I am looking for some real simple yet creative and pretty planting ideas. I do not mind weeding/gardening but I want to enjoy my gardening not be consumed by it. Any ideas would be helpful and very appreciated. I am looking at Coneflowers, butterfly bushes, lavender and some type of low shrub. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwhelmed-need planting ideas

Welcome to TN.

Come to the MTPS on May 19...3 weeks away...and you can get plenty of ideas...and plants...and make new gardening buddies.

For more info go to www.midtnplantswap.com there is a lot of info there, plus a place to get directions.

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

o

I love my coneflowers. Butterfly bushes grow really fast and get way to big for my taste. If you like them give them plenty of room because they will take over a small area. Hosta is the easiest thing I have ever grown but they need quite a bit of shade. Everybody in TN has to have Irises and lots of them. I've learned to start with small trees and spread my garden from there. Good Luck! HAVE FUN!!!

o

• Posted by dlhl z6 TN (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 07 at 12:20

Two of the easiest I have had experience with in my garden are hosta and autumn joy sedum. They are both really easily divided, too.

o

Where are you in Tennessee? If you're near Knoxville, a visit to the UT Gardens will give you lots of ideas. They're a trial garden for plants.
UT-Memphis also has gardens.
http://utgardens.tennessee.edu/
A great place to get info and have fun is Bloomsday at the UT Gardens on June 23-24. Lots of helpful seminars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here