Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nana26_gw

When is too late?

nana26
15 years ago

When is it too late to plant veggies and annuals in Middle TN? We are still not moved from NJ and not sure when we will be at this point.

I feel like I'm in limbo! Don't want to do much gardening here and can't there because I won't be able to take care of it. Though I have decided to go ahead with some veggies here and if we leave then whoever buys the house will have a garden already started. I will also put out some annuals when the time comes (around Mother's Day) but not doing too much; just enough for some color.

We're coming down next week so I'm anxious to see what is blooming and growing around the house. I think I may work on setting up some areas for planting when we're there permanently. Plus, it'll give me an idea of what kinda soil and ground I'll be working with.

Linda

P.S. This may be a dumb question but DH wants to bring his snowblower thinking that we may need it some time. Is there that much snow in the winter that would warrant it?

Comments (9)

• tntom
    15 years ago

too late is June 1. probably. the ground needs to warm. Most here plant tomatoes, peppers in late april, but those who wait until mid to late May to plant will have just as much success. they catch up to those plants that suffer through the cool nights of late apr and early may.

OTOH, shrubs and perienials are best planted in the fall. Our annual hot summer droughts are the enemy.

I have never known anyone to own a snow blower. we call off school for a week if snow is in the forcast. stock up on bread and milk as they will be quickly cleaned out at the local grocery. our idea of emergency preparedness.

NOT proofread!!

• transplanted_in_tn
    15 years ago

I treat TN as a two crop place to live. I started stuff way too early last year, and most went okay, and also started stuff way too late with same results. Started a giant pumpkin in late June, and had a 90 pound pumpkin for Halloween. Just try and see what happens. ;) We sold our snowblower when we moved here from Illinois, BTW. Broke my heart, but then when we got here I was glad to be rid of it. :)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Here is a link to the UT Extension's publication, Guide to Spring-Planted, Cool-Season Vegetables. It contains a planting guideline chart with appropriate planting times listed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guide to Spring-Planted, Cool-Season Vegetables

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Here is a link to the UT Extension's publication, Guide to Spring-Planted, Warm-Season Vegetables. It contains a planting guideline chart with appropriate planting times listed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guide to Spring-Planted, Warm-Season Vegetables

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Here is a link to the UT Extension's publication, Fall Vegetable Gardens. It contains a planting guideline chart with appropriate planting times listed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Vegetable Gardens

• columbiastock
    15 years ago

I agree with tntom. We live in Maury Cty, considered the southern part of Middle Tn. We moved on Memorial Day Week-end. We have always planted gardens; vegetable and flower. The vegetable garden we planted after moving produced the best we had ever had. The warmer the ground is when planting, the better the vegetables stand a better chance of survival and producing. The local Home Depot and Lowes have their tomato, pepper, even squash plants for sale. But the ground is not warm enough yet for them to grow, they will just set there. Spinach, beets, potatoes, and onions we planted with in the last 2 weeks of Feb. We just planted our Roma beans this past week-end. Waiting until this week-end to plant the cucumbers, we are suppose to have 80* temps this week-end. "Welcome to Tennessee"!
    The snowblower, we do have accumulative snow in parts of the Middle Tn area. Here, it is usually a wet, heavy snow that we shovel off our drive- ways and walks. And "YES" the schools are mostly closed!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Here's a link to my guide for planting trees and shrubs. The first section describes when best to plant woody plants based on your hardiness zone and the way your plant is packaged (for lack of a better term). All area in Tennessee would of course be considered a warmer climate zone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Sell your snowblower and put the money towards a rain barrel. I doubt you would ever ever ever need a snowblower here. We used to have big snows a few decades ago; now all that's changed.

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

I know a lot of people who plant both spring and late summer gardens. Welcome to TN!

Sponsored