Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

What is your favorite plant from the MTPS?

bigorangevol
17 years ago

Just to let some of the newbie's get a taste... and for all of you that have been to one or all of the MTPS's here is your chance to tell us what is the coolest plant or item that you've ever come home with and why. It may be incredibly unique or just a simple favorite but tell us all about it

First of all we have been so fortunate to be the recipients of so much that I'm embarrassed to even try and pick a favorite but...Rob (MountainGrown) gave Lavonne and I several Musa's to bring to our first swap and I know for a fact that there are 4th and 5th generation 'naners out there from those couple of plants. That is so freakin' cool! That is my favorite just because it has been a gift that keeps on giving. There have to be dozens upon dozens of people, maybe hundreds by now in several states, which have offspring from those couple of Musa's. How sweet is that? And it is all because one awesome person was generous that hundreds are happy and have benefited from it. That to me is a big part of what we are all about at the MTPS. Somebody fifty years from now, when I'm dead and buried, is going to be growing a Musa whose ancestor came out of our yard and was swapped for at the MTPS because Robert Ogletree is one of the nicest people on the face of the Earth. That is just kickin'!

The MTPS and all our swappers are just the bomb!!!

NEXT.........

Comments (16)

• intimidator_3
    17 years ago

Well...........The big orange fruit that runs it is always one of my favorites!

Just kiddin Jeff. You opened the door, all I did was walk in;^)

Doug

• Jan_Hobbs
    17 years ago

My oak leaf hydrangea is my favorite...and the dark purple clematis...and guess I better stop.

Jan

• ladybug37091
    17 years ago

Every swap produces a new favorite of the moment. There is always at least one, usually several cool, unexpected, never thought I would get one of those in my take home box. Also have to say I love that cat/birdfeeder/plant holder stake thing that Norm made. I am going to freshen up the paint and glue new feathers on it this year. I guess you could call it a Mater Man keepsake. Rhonda

• cannahavana
    17 years ago

I would have to say the passiflora cuttings that I got from Judith 2 years ago. I really enjoyed them. Then, I tried to overwinter them and they kicked the bucket on me. Ms Batt are you bringing some more this year? Please let me know and maybe we can work out a trade!

Rebecca

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So of the thousands of you guys that have been to the MTPS and taken home tons of plants... this is it?

Bec, Jan and Rhonda (Doug you cheated) are the only ones?

Ya'll are killin' me! You do realize that there is a purpose behind this thread right? Throw me a bone here and help an old guy out PLEASE!

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Dear Jeff,
    I got a rose of sharon from you and lavonne last year and some 4 o'clocks the rose of sharon hit it hard during the frost. And the 4 o'clocks didn't like my soil. But there was an older woman across from you last year with a wide brim hat that had all these small plants that she begged me to take. She was with her daughter and if I remember correctly she was 86.....I took home from what she gave me-purple cornflower, black-eyed susans and the most wonderful cleome I have ever seen. I got David Phlox from Marty, and someone gave me a wonderful tropical canna that is living in my draining ditch just fine. And that was a newbie first year......by the way Jan did your lavender live??????
    Thanks M

• Jan_Hobbs
    17 years ago

Martha...the lavender didn't make it :(

Jan

• farmerbell
    17 years ago

Jan, did your white verbena survive the winter. Mine are gorgeous right now and I noticed today that I have several coming up from seed. This plant is a non-stop blooming machine, even in the winter until the temps drop into the teens. Hope yours survived and that you have some prety blossoms.

Ann

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

C'mon guys!

• Jan_Hobbs
    17 years ago

3 weeks and 1 day till Christmas in May...the MTPS

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

• maternut
    17 years ago

Too many plants in my yard to pick just one, but everytime I take a stroll through the yard I see smiling faces of the friends who gave them to me. No face on the banana plant since I never met Rob. I have no idea how many hardy banana plants are in West Tn. now because of the seedlings he sent. I climbed a ladder last year to measure ours, it got 14 and a half feet tall. (did not fall off the ladder)
    Norm

• intimidator_3
    17 years ago

Well, thougt I would finally sit down long enough to chime in on this topic. Of all the plants that we have gotten from the MTPS, my favorite is a tall purple verbena that the lovely miss Mona gave to us. Its in a very conspicuos spot in one of our front beds. Blooms all summer and has a great color. Plus, it has the affect of reminding us of Mona everytime we see it bloom. Sometimes thats the best thing about a plant.

Thanks Mona!

Now you guys thought that I was gonna mention a Daylily didnt you?

Doug

• veggielover
    17 years ago

OOO I have one, I absolutely LOVE my Lilac bush, It was so little when I got it. Just a wee lil baby, and this year, it is about 4 ft tall! I cant wait to see it bloom and smell those lovely flowers!

I also love my brugs, banana tree, Peter pepper plant..........ok I will stop now.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lavonne's Mom wants a Lilac bush if anyone has an extra. She wouldn't care what size.

• katiedidcottage
    17 years ago

The only time I have been able to go the the MTPS, some sweet lady gave me two tiny pussywillows that she had rooted that were about 2 inches tall, and the roots were wrapped in little newspaper cups she had made.

Well, both lived. One of them is 3 feet high this year (after 2 years of growing) and was covered with the little fuzzy things. The other is surrounded by other plants and not as big or productive.

If anyone knows who these ladies are, please let them know how much I appreciate these pussywillows!

Katie

• Jan_Hobbs
    17 years ago

Katie those were probably my pussy willows that you got. I'm glad they are growing for you. They are so pretty in the spring when they are covered with catkins.

Hope to see you at the swap on the 19th.

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

Sponsored