Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple trees?

Posted by tennesseekathy TN (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 9, 06 at 22:46

Does anyone know what the purple trees are that are blooming all over here in East Tennessee right now? I use to know but I don't remember what they are called. And they are not in any of the books I have. Does anyone know of some good books for looking up plants and trees in East Tennessee?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple trees?

They are redbuds.

o

Thanks. You just confirmed what I thought, but when I said redbud trees first that just didn't seem right to me as they are more purple looking. I guess my first instinct was right.

o

Now I know what redbuds are and how they look and they do look kind of purple, but right now (the first and second week of April) in western Tennessee, I've seen a couple of trees that are blooming that look really PURPLE. I am talking a light grape sucker color, light lavender color and not the pink-violet color of redbuds. I wonder if they could be that tree that I've seen advertised as the fastest growing tree ever or something like that. The one tree I see almost everyday is close to our railroad track in front of a home builder's store front and is about 15-20 feet tall. Has anyone seen one of these and can anyone identify it? I'll try to get a photo of one if I can.
Katie

o

Katie: Any chance you could post a pic of the tree you are talking about?

o

• Posted by soeur z6b TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 18, 06 at 21:18

I suspect you're seeing Paulownia tomentosa, Princess Tree or Empress Tree. It's a chinese tree that has spread readily in the SE US, often seen in waste places and by roadsides. It is fast growing, with bloom scapes of clustered lavender purple blooms that are reminiscent of Catalpa.

If you google Paulownia you'll see a mix of websites, some extolling the virtues of the species as a fast growing timber tree, and others focusing on its invasive qualities.

Check it out at the site below and see if that's what you're seeing.

Marty

Here is a link that might be useful: Paulownia tomentosa

o

Yep, that looks like the two that are near me. Someone who lives behind me has one and there is one in our small town. Thanks for identifying it!

Katie

o

Just drove down 75 through Tennessee and fell in love with the purple oriental looking trees. Any suggestions as to what it is? It was everywhere along the highway. I have a picture on my computer but it wont copy & paste to here. Any suggestions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here